Worcester Bosch 240 - Water Too Hot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I have done a search on another posts and haven't found a similar problem to mine, (I apologies if I have overlooked a post).

Right...

I have a Worcester Bosch 240, (not sure how old), in a place I've recently moved in to. The Central Heating works fine but I have an issue with the hot water being TOO HOT.

There is no manual water control on the front panel only one that controls the central heating.

The shower unit similar to this
http://www.antiquehardware.com/images/products/cg110054-lg.jpg

This shower unit cannot be used as even with the hot tap on a little and the cold on full it's still scalding. What makes matters worse I think is that the cold is being fed from a tank in the loft and the hot from the boiler. So i'm guessing that the hot flow is more powerful than the gravity fed cold.

I was thinking that increasing the flow rate on the boiler would cool the water but I'm guessing that would let even less gravity fed cold through.

The boiler does actually cut out when running the hot water which I assume it should at a certain temperature but maybe too high a temperature.

I hope this is enough information, I apologies if I'm making any wrong assumptions above.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
You will have to supply the shower with mains cold. It won't work as it is, and may cause problems.

The boiler does actually cut out when running the hot water
Probably faulty then, depending...

Thanks for the reply Chris.

You will have to supply the shower with mains cold. It won't work as it is, and may cause problems.

Apart from having water if the mains is cut off what other benefits are there for having a cold water tank? I've read that it maybe quieter than direct mains but not much more.

Next to the boiler are x 2 pipes. 1 x 15mm which is the mains feed to the tank. 1 x 22mm which is the return that goes to the toilet, bath & basin. Is there any reason why I shouldn't bypass the tank, (once emptied), and loop the incoming straight into the outgoing, I guess with a 15 to 22mm converter. I guess the pressure would be reduced but it would probably still be better pressure than the existing gravity feed.

Better still maybe with one way valves have the cold fed from mains & tank to enable redundancy if the mains got cut off?

Quote:
The boiler does actually cut out when running the hot water
Probably faulty then, depending...

If I leave the hot tap running the boiler will cut out a little if the water gets too hot. This may only be for 10 seconds or so until the water drops a little in temp and the boiler cuts back in. I assume this is normal but it's happening at very high temps. Is it possible to adjust the temp or do you think there's a fault?

Thanks again.

Paul

Sponsored Links
Well I bypassed the water tank in the end.

I bought a high pressure flexible hose with 15 & 22mm ends. I disconnected the tank and put a loop on the incoming 15mm mains to the 22mm that leads to the bathroom toilet, sink & bath.

I have gained a useable shower and the toilet fills up in 10 seconds oppose to 10 minutes :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back