washing machines in bathrooms

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I came across this site while googling for this topic. I'm not a diy person at all, so don't know anything about this kind of thing. I have just looked at a flat to rent though, and when I asked about the possibility of fitting a washing machine somewhere in the flat was shown the connection pipes in the bathroom. I was unsure about this so decided to look on the net.

Sponsored Links
I actually found this pdf file about the zones in bathrooms that makes it clearer for me. I reckon the machine could end up in zone 3 because it could possibly be 60 cm away from the end of the bath. It would also be allowed in zone 2 if that was not possible.

http://www.amdea.org.uk/Forms/Bathrooms_Guidance.pdf

I have also found in this document the following

"It must be directly wired or connected by means of a flexible cord to a fused connection unit, a switch outlet plate or a cable outlet plate. All appliances covered by this section need to be protected by a 30mA R.C.D."

Unfortunately this is gobbledygook to me! No Idea. But I guess I need to ask the landlord if these things are available, although I can imagine being fobbed off by him. If these things aren't currently available, does anybody know how much it would cost to get an electrician in to get something sorted?

Please note forum rule 9

A fused connection unit is readily available, one incorporating an RCD is more expensive.

But if this is gobbledigook to you, get a qualified electrician in as you will not know how to do it safely. Make sure he is a member of a recognised self-certification scheme and will provide you with a document on completion. If it is rented property your landlord should insist on it.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back