Noisy ( whining ) micro bore central heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Folks,
Can anybody advise me, on how to cure a micro bore central heating system that has a loud whine.
It appears to be coming from the pipe work and is always there when the boiler is running. Although the boiler itself is quite whiney.

I have a 2 year old Baxi 105e Combi boiler and all the radiators have thermostatic valves fitted.
I have bled the system a good few times and it has made no difference to the noise.

I have read that the noise can be caused by sludge and that a power flush may cure it.
On the other hand I have been told that a power flush can damage a micro bore system. Is this in your expert opinions true ?.

I would be grateful for your advice.

Cheers Feeble

Sponsored Links
The whine is probably generated by something in the boiler, possibly the pump or fan. Failing that it might be a TRV that's almost shut - you can test this by opening and closing TRVs when the whine occurs.

It's not likely to be anything to do with the pipework. If the system is only 2 years old, or if it was an older system flushed clean when the new boiler was installed, and an inhibitor added, it's very unlikely that you would now have a significant sludge problem.

dont flush , do as chris says , I bet one or more trvs are stuck

Thanks for the help,
I failed to mention that the boiler is 2 years old but the system is about 20 years old.
It was not power flushed when the new boiler was fitted, the thermostaic valves were fitted to the radiators, at the same time as the new boiler.

regards feeble

Sponsored Links
Then it could be that sludge from the system is clogging up the boiler. Who installed it? Were they Corgi registered? It really is irresponsible not to flush clean a 20 year old system.

F*cking hell 20 years old OMG

flush it ... talk about hearing half a story ,as you prise it out of them urgh Unbelievable.............spit

105s are quite resiliant to older pipework,more than likely it is a pump/fan/trv problem.this boiler has a filter on the return isolation it should be cleaned on the annual service if done properly check it is free from crud and debris simple diy job installation manuaul explains how to do it.

you said that all the rads have trv's (thermostatic rad valve) fitted if this is true check that a bypass is fitted normal systems have 1 rad with no trv on due to the fact that when the trv gets up to temp it shuts the rad off if all the rads shut off the pump is still going with no where to push the water wish could create the noise
and microbore is rubbish anyway have no end of probs with microbore over about 7 years old due to sluge etc in the system cos installers dont use inhibitor

gas engin said:
.. microbore is rubbish anyway..
Nothing wrong with microbore if installed properly. Failure to put inhibitor in a system is nothing to do with microbore. Also have you considered that there might be an internal by-pass in the Baxi?

This is interesting. It seems that the noise might be generated by a rogue washer in the hot water outlet! Interesting what a Google search on Baxi 105e throws up.

As chris says if microbore is installed properly and treated with TLC afterwards its as good as mini bore, and reduces the installation costs, less money spent of copper means more money spent of the boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back