BAXI 133HE

4.5 l/hr is the minimum flow the heat exchanger needs. Understand?

Yup!

So at a flow rate of (say) 5l/min, the thing fires up and runs for a while, during which time a couple of TRVs 'gradually close' (hey - they're the kind that still work properly!) and the boiler (Flow) setpoint (as adjusted by the intelligent controller) is reached. So burner is turned off and the pump goes to overrun.

But now all the TRVs are closed and the 'minimum' (or indeed, any) flow rate cannot be achieved. So your statement above that the HX 'needs' this flow rate is evidently incorrect.

Seems to me that designing a boiler with components that need a minimum flowrate, then recommending a system design which can easily (according to you) create a flow rate of zero would not be a good idea.

So what's wrong with a well-designed PID roomstat, anyway?

Sponsored Links
Are you quite sure the maker's minimum heating flow rate to potentially bring the boiler on is only 4.5 litres per HOUR ?

I cannot see how any boiler can safely operate with such a low flow rate.

Tony

I spotted that a while back!
But I DO love watching 'consultants' digging holes for themselves! :evil:

I guess there's not enough ACCURATE information to judge whether this interlock mechanism works well, adequately, or considerably less effectively than a room stat. My GUESS is the latter.

Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:09 pm Post Subject: BAXI 133HE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I currently have a boiler that is 36 years old. I want to replace it with a combi. I am also extending and will have 20 rads, including 2 in a converted loft space. Would the Baxi 133HE be a good choice:?: It is on offer at plumb centre for £750+vat inc flue and timer.

Thanks for the info. Although the house will have 3 showers and 1 bath there is only 3 of us so it is very unlikely they will be used at the same time.

I've tried to get a quote from a corgi installer but the three I have tried have not returned calls. I'm getting British gas to give me a quote.

Sponsored Links
croydoncorgi said:
4.5 l/hr is the minimum flow the heat exchanger needs. Understand?

Yup!

This is encouraging.

So at a flow rate of (say) 5l/min, the thing fires up and runs for a while, during which time a couple of TRVs 'gradually close' (hey - they're the kind that still work properly!) and the boiler (Flow) setpoint (as adjusted by the intelligent controller) is reached. So burner is turned off and the pump goes to overrun.

That is very good - encouraging.

But now all the TRVs are closed and the 'minimum'
(or indeed, any) flow rate cannot be achieved. So
your statement above that the HX 'needs' this flow
rate is evidently incorrect.

After I though he was doing well he has to write that.

Let me see what he said again.

But now all the TRVs are closed and the 'minimum'
(or indeed, any) flow rate cannot be achieved.

I can’t believe a man involved in heating would write that above. Well as the TRVs are closed and no flow, no flow can be achieved, well yes. As they are all closed and the flow switch switched out the pump and burner.

He goes on….

So your statement above that the HX 'needs' this flow
rate is evidently incorrect.

What the hell are you about? The heat exchanger needs a minimum flow, below this the burner is switched out. Is that difficult for you? It seems to be. Boy!

Seems to me that designing a boiler with components that need a minimum flowrate, then recommending a system design which can easily (according to you) create a flow rate of zero would not be a good idea.

All heat exchangers need a minimum flowrate – all of them. When there is zero flowrate the burner would have already been switched out when the flowrate went below 4.5. Can you understand that? I doubt it.

So what's wrong with a well-designed PID roomstat, anyway?

The point is TVRs on all rads and a flow switch in the boiler. How long have you been hard of thinking?

croydoncorgi said:
I spotted that a while back!
But I DO love watching 'consultants' digging holes for themselves!

Holes? I think you have been buried a long time ago - the living dead.

jimjoeray said:
Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:09 pm Post Subject: BAXI 133HE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I currently have a boiler that is 36 years old. I want to replace it with a combi. I am also extending and will have 20 rads, including 2 in a converted loft space. Would the Baxi 133HE be a good choice:?: It is on offer at plumb centre for £750+vat inc flue and timer.

Thanks for the info. Although the house will have 3 showers and 1 bath there is only 3 of us so it is very unlikely they will be used at the same time.

I've tried to get a quote from a corgi installer but the three I have tried have not returned calls. I'm getting British gas to give me a quote.

BG? take out a mortgage.

As suggested I have contacted a corgi installer and he has suggested a baxi platinum 33HE. This has a flow rate of 13.5 l/min. Which is less than the 133HE.

I will have a bath and three showers. Will this boiler be big enough? - my thoughts are that it will not.

Whats the flow rate and standing pressure of your mains water supply??

if its crap then NO

Would say no anyway as you have three showers etc, if they are all in us then you could probably tiddle faster than the water coming out of your taps

jimjoeray said:
As suggested I have contacted a corgi installer and he has suggested a baxi platinum 33HE. This has a flow rate of 13.5 l/min. Which is less than the 133HE.

I will have a bath and three showers. Will this boiler be big enough? - my thoughts are that it will not.

If the idiot is suggesting a 13.5 l/min combi with 3 showers and a bath then don't hire him.

Go for the Alpha CD50. You will not be disappointed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back