Hotpoint WM62 Trips power

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The problem started when the bearings went. Even after they had been replaced the power still tripped out. I took the motor apart and cleaned up the area with which the brushs make contact, fitted new brushs but this has not solved the problem. The machine works fine on a spin cycle, but as soon as you select a wash cycle it fills up with water until it reachs roughly the bottom of the drum then the power trips off. To get the machine to drain I have to tilt the washer to about 45 degrees to the left (when viewed from the front). I've looked at the heater element but cannot see any obvious damage. The only component I have left to check is a small circular item next to the control unit that is connectd to the base of the outter drum by a clear tube, but I don't know what it is or what it does.

Sponsored Links
thats a pressure switch, operated by air, i would guess you need a new heater

I concur. if your bearings have collapsed previous what sometimes happens while running on collapsed bearings the inner drum drops scraping/damaging the heater element (damage not always obvious to the naked eye).To prove this if it was me I would disconnect three spade connectors to the element making sure you temporarily tape the spades (to stop any shorting) and try running a programme. If it runs ok it proves the element faulty.

tockworth said:
To prove this if it was me I would disconnect three spade connectors to the element making sure you temporarily tape the spades (to stop any shorting) and try running a programme. If it runs ok it proves the element faulty.

I never said that for one reason (though i did think of it)

you cant run a wash prog with no heater, the m/c will sit there waiting for the water to get hot which it never will

Sponsored Links
Yes I agree breezer but if the machine does not blow the trip with the heater disconnected is the point to prove, then that would indicate the heater faulty.

But, on a hot wash the machine wouldn't progress from the heating stage because the water hasn't been heated, the fault could lie after the heating stage.

but there is nothing else thatis in thwe water after the heating

Thanks ! You were spot on, the heater element was shot. Changed it last night and works a treat. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back