main medway automatic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a main medway automatic which supplies a shower through mixer taps. The hot water is ok through the normal taps but not through shower. Is the problem likely to be the diaphragm and if so is it easy to replace? Has anyone got MIs

Sponsored Links
MI's are available on the Baxi website Main belong Baxi. I know that because when I was trying to fix one and rang Baxi for service information the nice man said that they are definately on there but hard to find. I never did find them but they are there.

Failing that ask them to send you a copy.

Is it the diaphragm? Depends what flow rate from the other tap inspires it to light, then check with Baxi if that is correct, if not fit a diaphragm.

I'd sooner have a Brittony II to change the diaphragm on.

You'll probably knacker the two small copper pipes and will need a new seal which the pin slides through, and have to take the whole thing off and on a few times before you have it leak free again.

GOOD LUCK, horrible machines.

Here http://www.partsarena.com/baxi/

you will find all these:

Basic (Later Production) (GC No. 5247625)
Medway Super L (GC No. 5247641)
R (Late Production) (GC No. 5247628)
Super (GC No. 5247639)

Is the "Automatic" a different one?

Sponsored Links
Went into Identiffier and it looks like you're right Oilski. Automatic only listed for LPG. Parts Numbers for diaphragm etc are not same as any of the others I looked at.

The hot water is ok through the normal taps but not through shower

probably the shower thermostat then, assuming its a thermostatic shower

Clearly ( to me ) the flow rate through the shower is not sufficient to turn the water heater on.

Confirmation by measuring the flow rate through tap and then through shower.

Solution to either clean the holes in the shower head or drill them out to increase the flow rate.

Proper solution, measure flow rate and then change diaphragm if heater needs more than 2.5 li/min to turn on.

Tony Glazier

The shower works off a mixer tap regulated by a governor on the cold feed. The same problem occured 6 months ago and I replaced the shower mixer and head which worked. The governor has also been replaced in the last few years. Hence everything between shower head and water heater are relatively new which seems to point to diaphragm unless mixer/governor have gone faulty

Could it just be build up of limescale in the shower head restricting the flow (hence the new shower head fixed it 6 months ago)? Maybe just try descaling the head for a quick fix?

Sorry Tony, just read your post and you've already suggested this.

I think that the further information may be a significant clue!

Can you adjust the outlet pressure on the regulator to significantly reduce it.

Tell us what this does.

We also need to know the water flow rate at which the heater turns on when just a hot tap is turned on.

Tony

PS Great minds think alike Ollie !

As an eplilogue:- finally the shower got too cold so I replaced the diaphragm. It was easier to take the unit off the wall and turn upside down to remove 8 screws to bottom plate of water regulator Everything seems to work ok now. Thanks to any contributors.

Hi,
I have the Medway Super GC No 5247639 Gas fired water heater. I have the problem as 'btic' mentioned. I am not getting HOT water in the Shower.

Do you know any company who can do servicing this water heater in Middlesex Area? If so, please let me know their Website address as well as their contact telephone details.

Rgds,
Sasi

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back