Problem with Saunier Duval SD30e

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I have a 6 year old Saunier Duval SD30e combination boiler fitted new and about a year ago it had a new board put on it.

The problem is with gaining hot water, the central heating appears to be working fine. Recently the lock out light has been coming on and I had to manually reset it each time to get hot water. Water pressure is fine. This happened for about a week and now the lockout light isn't coming in on at all and there is no way to get hot water (no way to reset). The boiler isn't firing up. Flow out the taps seems OK.

I have had two engineers out within a last couple of days, the first wouldn't touch it as he didn't know enough about Saunier Duval. The second engineer blew some water out of some pipes in the boiler but said it wouldn't fix the problem long term. He advised me to buy a Worcester Bosch instead as Saunier Duvals are 'rubbish'...not that helpful. Sure enough for a few hours the lockout light would come on and I could reset to get hot water, now no lockout light and no way to get hot water.

Do you need any more info? Any ideas as to what it could be?

Many thanks for any help. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
when it was installed did you have it thoroughly flushed?

have you ever drained the system down and if so did you reintroduce inhibiter?

I would suspect scale/sludge build up reducing the primaries and causing the boiler to over heat

corgiman said:
when it was installed did you have it thoroughly flushed?

have you ever drained the system down and if so did you reintroduce inhibiter?

I would suspect scale/sludge build up reducing the primaries and causing the boiler to over heat

Hi,

Thanks for the reply corgiman.

The house didn't have central heating at all, so the whole system was new 6 years ago. Never drained the system down.

If it is scale or sludge build up, is it really necessary to replce the whole boiler as he suggested?

Thanks

no not really

just get someone out who knows what they are on about when it comes to sunny duvals

:)

Sponsored Links
corgiman said:
no not really

just get someone out who knows what they are on about when it comes to sunny duvals

:)

OK thanks,

Just need to find someone in my area...is there anywhere I can go on the web/phone to find someone in Cheltenham? I have had a search on this site but no-one comes up...

Overheating will cause the lockout light to come on.

Does the boiler function OK with the heating on?

It may be you have an intermittent fault with the clip-on flow thermistor or a faulty overheat thermostat.

I just phoned another plumber and told him the situation...he said if the water is working and the heating isn't he doesn't know what it is...

Is it that strange that the heating works and the water doesn't?

The boiler seems to function ok with the heating on ie it fires up at least and the rads get hot but just a minute ago my wife tried this and the overflow pipe started to leak water.

Any help gratefully recieved, I'm running out of plumbers.... ;)

Now you have another problem - the pressure has risen sufficiently high enough (3 Bar) with the heating on to open the safety valve.

You need to find an engineer to do a no fix no fee repair - these are straightforward boilers (vertially identical to the Glowworm Compact series).

Get the system pressure sorted - re-charge the expansion vessel and clean out the safety valve.

Check all sensors.

Check the burner pressure is correct and it modulates correctly - these boilers have a very poor gas valve setup - the board adjustment is very sensitive and they can wander off their setting over time.

and so on....

I just phoned another plumber and told him the situation...he said if the water is working and the heating isn't he doesn't know what it is...
That's cos you got the "situation" the wrong way round!

...I wonder what else could go wrong....
You haven't seen the leaks yet then? ;)

:oops:

Just as well I told him right on the phone.

It leaked already. I sort of ignore it. Seems to have gone away.
Wonder if the same will happen this time. It seems to working now so I had a quick bath... :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back