4 professionals cannot find the answer - can you??

No, the removed radiator was in the kitchen. Thanks though.

I've done some poking around and lifted up floorboards etc, and I have an update:

- the radiators are not connected in a simple series loop, they are fed from a cold pipe and a hot pipe, and each radiator connects to this pipe as and when throughout the house. Therefore, there is no effect from removing a rad in terms of closing the loop, as I had suspected.
- when I turn the boiler on it fires up straight away, and hot water can be felt in BOTH the taps coming out. HOWEVER, I traced these pipes upstairs and lift the floorboards, and when I touched them they were completely cold (approx 1 metre away from where they were hot!)
- they then lead into a pump - this is DEFINITELY working as when I turn the boiler on I can hear the water flowing through the pipes, this stops when I turn it off. The pump is EXTREMELY HOT to touch, however I think this may be due to it doing work, since the pipes around it within 10cm are barely warm.

Any ideas??

I can't post photos as my Windows98 version is too old!

Sponsored Links
You have an airlock.
Undo the central screw in the pump (dribbles, can squirt).

If it's seized, which it doesn't sound like it is, you can poke a screwdriver in the ole to turn the shaft. Some makes have a "captive" screw you pull & twist once it's undone.

I`m going to a meeting of the Last Weekend But One`s Adventists and I`ll put in a request for a psychic reading fron Del Ackorah the resident psychic.......see if we can contact the last owner :eek:

Sponsored Links
sweet, whilst you've got them on the line can you also ask them where they put the friggin gas stop tap! ;)

Anyway, I've thrown the towel in and have phoned a plumber - he'll be over in the next 30mins.

I'll post on here what he said shortly...

thanks for your help chaps.

FIXED!!

It was the simplest of solutions - basically a valve was shut leading from the pump to the rest of the system.

thanks again for your comments, they were useful :)

cheekym said:
.. a Polish electrician removed the radiator - no he was not a heating engineer! In fact to call him an electrician is probably pushing it too :mad:
Did you catch that bit, DIA?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back