Boiler replacement question... Urgent advice needed please

corgiman said:
that aside, the emergency gas provide WOULD have disconnected you and it would have cost you a fortune to get reconnected

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that.

So u'd have been cut off either way. Never did understand people who would say no to capping off a dangerous appliance.

Sponsored Links
But that is no excuse for the BG guy not even asking permission. We have no right to disconnect without the householder's permission.

chrishutt said:
But that is no excuse for the BG guy not even asking permission. We have no right to disconnect without the householder's permission.

yep agreed, he broke the rules there

Thanks for the info. My knowledge has gone from zero to at least reasonable as a result of this.

To address a few points, I wouldn't really have said no. This was meant as tongue in cheek. I can always boil three kettles and have a luke warm bath rather than risk gassing myself in my sleep. Alternatively, I would just have use more deodorant.

As for the boiler itself, BG came out last year and tried to sell us a new system and I wasn't sure if their guys are on commission if they secure a sale? If they are, his sales pitch was crap as he said 'You can have one of us come to give you a quote but we'll be miles more expensive than anyone else!' I said 'Yes' just to get a banchmark to compare subsequent quotes.

In reality, even if it s not replaced this year (although it looks like it will have to be), it will onloy be next year or the year after so I guess I am only delaying the inevitable.

Does anyone have any recommendations about the combi vs traditional debate? I like the idea of having no tank but am not sure of the disadvantages of a combi.

Also, does anybody have or own a Worcester Bosch Combi? Can anyone recommend them or ae they crap? The reason that I ask is that an engineer recommended them tonight on the phone but I want an unbiased opinion.

Thanks again in advance.

Sponsored Links
Yer fair point, the BG eng should still have asked. It is the rules after all. Suppose he just assumed the cust would agree, obviously not in this case.

Well u know what they say about assumption, its the mother..........

Still, good on the BG guy. Hope it was the correct choice with the spiders web n all, but he shouldve been a bit more helpful in explaining the options.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back