Silk varnishing doors - disappointing finish.

RigidRaider said:
Yes, I mean satin. We have used matt and somehow don't like it as much. We are trying to achieve a finish that looks smooth and professional like a well waxed surface but not brilliantly shiny. Above all I like the feel of a satin varnished door, cool and smooth to the touch. I wish I could post some photos to explain this!

When using your varnish, did you pour a small amount out of the main tin and into another to paint the door with, or did you work out of the main can?

Sponsored Links
I worked out of the original can. I think that was where I went wrong - the can was three quarters empty and had been for a few months so I reckon it had gone off a bit - just enough that it didn't spread the way it should have. Add in the very warm weather and I was dragging the surface off it even a few seconds after first application when I was doing my "even out" final brush over. I worked as fast as I could too.

RigidRaider said:
I worked out of the original can. I think that was where I went wrong - the can was three quarters empty and had been for a few months so I reckon it had gone off a bit - just enough that it didn't spread the way it should have. Add in the very warm weather and I was dragging the surface off it even a few seconds after first aplication when I was doing my "even out" final brush over. I worked as fast as I could too.

Not really the way to go about it.
Heat is your friend, not your enemy.
Only take a small amount out of original tin at a time and replace the lid.
Dragging over the surface (as you describe) is what's caused your prob.

Technique is your prob ;) We always keep brushes especially for varnishing (clean, nice and stiff.)
Downstroke...cross it horizontally...lay it off vertically, (not dragging) leave it and carry on down the panel.

As I said in my original post....Work swiftly

Thanks for the advice. Since I have another 10 doors to fit and varnish, (that's 60 sides!) may I just check this with you?

This is a modern 4 panel door (arranged vertically) in pine with oak veneer using Ronseal Hardglaze in satin, 3 coats.

Decant a smallish amount into a clean kettle or similar. Close the can to prevent evaporation.

Load brush and apply, spread horizontally then lay off vertically on the panels (as I do) but horizontally on the rails, working briskly.

I start with the door edges and the lock & hinge cutouts, then do the edges of the panels, (flat, no mouldings) then the panels, then the rails and finish with the stiles.

I always fine sand between coats then clean off with a damp cloth.

I always keep one brush for varnishing and buy a new brush (Harris red handle) if it gets stiff.

Does that sound right?

Sponsored Links
RigidRaider said:
Decant a smallish amount into a clean kettle or similar. Close the can to prevent evaporation.

Load brush and apply, spread horizontally then lay off vertically on the panels (as I do) but horizontally on the rails, working briskly.

Let me just clarify this bit:..On the panels - Apply your varnish vertically then cross it horizontally (to even it) then lay it off vertically, in an upwards direction, that small section should now be finished, don't over apply or it will curtain...continue down the panel with the same action and lay off into previously applied. Depending on how big your panels are, you should do this perhaps, 1 2 or 3 times per panel.
Unfortunately, whatever anyone says, it is a skill only acquired by experience.
This may help you....
http://www.bozzle.com/ps_Howtopaneldoor.html
Good luck raider and buy some new varnish. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back