boilermate II hot water but no central heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Everything has been working fine, bar the odd buzzing noise, kettle noise or banging noise from the heating system up until now. Turned the CH off, using the winter/summer setting about 2 months ago, and now put it back to winter, and well nothing.

The thing doesn't do anything, whereas before you could hear it fire up, start whirling and the pipes expand with hot water (v noisy!) and the rads would get hot. Not anymore, nothing happens. I turned the unit off and on again, this time a really loud drilling noise, coming from the front of the boilermate, behind the panel. I've done a search on here and read it could be a board or control unit or somesuch. How hard is that to change? I've also noticed that the pipe marked heating system is hot at the top, but not after the pump but also the pump is not whiring (the other one is, marked back to heater unit or something, sorry am at work and going from memory).

The timer has been moved from manual on, to timer, to off, and nothing seems to make any difference. The unit is acting the same in any setting. The drilling sound had started about a week or two ago, but it was nowhere near as loud, and was for about 3 seconds or so. Now, its loud and lasts about 40 seconds or so.

Any help greatfully received. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Sounds like your C/H pump has stuck or is knackered, try giving it a good whack or take the bleed cap off and spin it off using a small flat blade screwdriver.

I have repaired a few boilermate II which have a loud buzzing and nine times out of ten it was the pump driver board on the bottom of the panel. Its easy to change but it also could be your thermostat you can disconnect this and see if the buzzing stops.

Thanks for the reply.

Tried what you suggested, but nothing happened. Pump still quiet, but I can still hear the one next to it spinning, it is labelled "primary return to heat generator". I'm just thinking though, would the pump spin if the control system does not think the CH should be on? i.e. would the pump be spinning all the time irrespective of desired CH setting?

I'm assuming no, but it would be helpful to know the possibilities when trying to track down the problem.

Sponsored Links
gasmanuk said:
I have repaired a few boilermate II which have a loud buzzing and nine times out of ten it was the pump driver board on the bottom of the panel. Its easy to change but it also could be your thermostat you can disconnect this and see if the buzzing stops.

Thanks for the reply, it does sound like it's coming from the back of the panel. How would I go about disconnecting the thermostat (sorry I'm green to plumbing lol).

Thanks again.

In case this is useful to anyone else, I've just opened the panel, and on turning the unit off and then on again, I can here the sound loud and clear. I have detached the timer board and it is definitely that item which is making the sound (its very hot and vibrates badly).

I suspect that is the failed part. Now need to find a new part!

Thanks for the replies.

Ring gledhill directly, they will inform you of the nearest place to obtain parts. Their staff are second none. :D

check to see if there is power to the CH pump if so then change it. If there isn't power to it then look somewhere else like pcb etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back