NEWBUILD ADVICE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all
i would be very grateful for your advice on the following. i have just had the first fix done on my newbuild and very unhappy with the quality of work, ie push fit connectors in walls for the sake of 6 inch of extra pipe and generally untidy workmanship, so i have ripped it all out, what advice im after is, when do you need to use double and single 'check valves' ? i have the service pipe blue polyethlyene in the kitchen (bare) could someone tell me of anything i need to put in ie, valves reducers when laying the feed to the boiler? sorry for sounding like a complete prat, i have done most of the build myself so i would like to do a proper job with the plumbing

Sponsored Links
Its too involved for me to give you lessons in plumbing but I can only assume that you have employed some East European plumbers who are not familiar with regulations and good practice.

If you had used a member of the Institute then you could have used their complaints procedure!

Tony

You need a screwdown stop valve, double check valve and drain cock, and earth bonding.
Suggest "Hot and Cold Water Supply" by the BSI, as well as, as Moz says, an NVQ book - eg by Treloar. Then a book on the Water Supply (Water Fttings) Regulations.
Also you need to find out about pressures and flows.
Then when you've found out what you need to know about, get a plumber in for an hour to advise what you should do in your particular circumstances. Good luck :)

Sponsored Links
Agile is definitely getting a bung off the beaureacrats to enforce the Corgi ethos...........What an ar se licker.......!

Agile said:
...I can only assume that you have employed some East European plumbers who are not familiar with regulations and good practice.
This is absolutely f*cking outrageous xenophobic claptrap. So I suppose that there was no shoddy work carried out before Polish plumbers proliferated in this country? In which case why was there any need for the IPHE and CORGI? Is the IPHE aware that you openly and ignorantly criticise foreign plumbers? Is that the IPHE policy, or should people consider complaining about you?

If you had used a member of the Institute then you could have used their complaints procedure!
Really? I very much doubt it - every other regulating body takes a dim view of consumers who come a-whinging without attempting to reconcile things with the tradesman first.

If everyone used an IPHE member then most people would have to wait three years for a plumber to call. Rather than pompously peddle the IPHE to punters, why aren't you spending your time making the IPHE an attractive proposition to non-members? :rolleyes:

Contrary to popular beliefs and statements you only have to put service valves on anything with a float valve and one on the hot water system as a whole on a typical house insulation. However you will make your own life easier and your system noisier if you fit them willy nilly.

Internal double check valve required on outdoor tap. In certain situations lke when using pestisides outdoor hoses require extra protection beyond the double check valve. If this is likely to be a problem enquire further.

Put a drain off after the household stop cock.

I must have missed it my water regs because I didn't see the need for a double check valve near the stop cock which I sensed was being talked about above.

Only fit fittings and equipment with correct approval of which there are many, wras have a book listing them all, might be available at local library.

In this area building inspectors have now discoveed that we have been using shallow bath and shower traps wrongly and are picking people up on it....

I must have missed it my water regs because I didn't see the need for a double check valve near the stop cock which I sensed was being talked about above.

The regs are surprisingly unclear about that, but if you dissect it you can infer that one's required, for each dwelling. Just. I've checked with three different water provider's inspectors though and they were all adamant that one is needed for new supplies.
Makes sense when you think about it. The olde stops cocks had a loose jumper which acted as a non return valve but since the current BS, jumpers have to be "pinned" which holds them off the seat.

Oh well I did a new build plumbing without one in Whitby, will let you know if it gets picked up by the building inspector, i don't expect it will, he'll be far too busy dealing with the cowboy who built the house, crikey I could have done a better job..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back