Draining down CH system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got quite a few jobs to get done over the next few weeks and it looks like I'll be draining down the CH system (and I've never worked on a CH system before). It may very well be 4-5 weeks before I'm in a position to re-commission.

Is there any risk that leaving the system drained for so long will result in any damage to the pump? Or anything else for that matter.

Sponsored Links
You may get some corrosion if air is allowed into the system.
Make sure you flush it out and add fresh inhibitor when you are refilling.
The pump should be fine.
Pete

Sponsored Links
Corrosion happens mainly using the oxygen content in the water, not from air that hasn't been vented.

For the sake of £15 to £20, I wouldn't leave a system unprotected for more than a few hours.

Often, with repeated drain downs, you can isolate enough parts of the system (all rads for example) such that a very small amount of inhibitor is lost, still leaving a strong enough concentration to do the job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back