Impartial advice wanted - gas vs. oil central heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There has been an oil powered central heating system in our suburban semi detached house for 20 - 25 years or more and the tank is getting a bit old, rusty and looks awful as it is situated outside the living room window in the back garden.

We are also thinking of selling the house, so I am under some pressure to decide how to sort it out.

Our options are either get a new gas heating sytem for £3,000 - £5,000 or a modern replacement oil tank installed behind the garage for about one third of that, including labour.

I was just wondering what people here on the forum thought about

risks/ benefits of each type of central heating system
running costs
do many people choose to install oil central heating these days

etc...........

Any advice would be appreciated.

Ray

Sponsored Links
Before agreeing wholeheartedly with Chris, I would want to consider your neighbourhood.

Oil has a reputation for being dirty, smelly and noisy! Yes, I know thats not always justifed but its the perception and perception is reality!

Running costs for oil have been traditionally lower except when the West is attacking arab countries ( like now ). However maintenance is higher as oil boilers do need to be serviced annually.

If the likely purchasors are to come from gas areas then change to gas. If they may come from oil areas dont bother.

Ensure the price reflects what you do. £300k for oil and £305k with new gas.

Tony

Thanks ChrisHutt/ Agile for your replies

If the likely purchasors are to come from gas areas then change to gas. If they may come from oil areas dont bother.

Difficult to know the answer to that - I would guess most people in the UK have gas cent heating, but I'm not sure if I'm right.

Sponsored Links
I don't recall running costs for oil being lower in the last ten years.....

If you have gas on site and the oil tank is hammered then it is a no brainer. You know what to do.

While everyones been moaning about gas prices going up 40% the smaller band of oil customers has been quietly absorbing price hikes of over 100% over the past 3 years.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back