lead pipe, should it go or stay?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have short loop of lead pipe connecting my gas meter to the black iron pipe of the rest of my installtion. (1960s house, so lots of iron pipe under concrete floor) Should I expect a respectable gas fitter to want to change this when he works on the kitchen cooker or just to note it as not to current standard and to work around it ?
Interested in what the pro's think. :LOL:
Background -the cooker was changed - new bayonet fitting, quite recently, and nothing was said about it at all. Also the meter looks very new, but the lead pipe looks very much original. Since then I have read the gas regs and note lead pipe is called up and NOT permitted.
Was I diddled, and is it safe?

Mike

Sponsored Links
It's fine on existing installations. It's Not to Current Standard, but I wouldn't normally bother to note it. Ever so common to have a piece where you have.

On second thoughts, chaps, is it even NCS? :confused:

It all depends on what transco have used to connect the ECV to the meter. If they've used an anaconda, then the meter is deemed to have two flexable connections and on my last corgi inspection the inspector informed me that it is ID and the lead should be removed.
Lee

I dont quite understand that last description!

In any case ignoring any lead ( as I dont understand where that fitted in ) whilst I know that an anaconda on either side of the meter is deemed incorrect by CORGI, can anybody suggest how it can be rated as ID or even AR for that matter?

As far as I recall, lead gas pipe by the meter is not even NCS IF its in good condition.

Tony

Sponsored Links
The inspector in qusetion informed me that because the lead is flexable and not rigid made it ID. The meter should have at least one rigid connection to it. Gas appliances and meters all have to have rigid pipework and so if not are deemed ID except cooker hoses or unless stated in MI's.Just like they should be bracketed to the wall and not left unsupported.
Just what i was picked up on in an inspection. :oops:

Cheers guys. Well actually the meter is able to flap a bit, I suppose, as there is lead on both sides - the mains gas supply is exactly the same method as the bit that is on my side.

To make sure I have it right :-
From what you say its not really uncommon, possibly not strictly right nowadays, but I certainly should not lie awake at night sweating.
The guy who put the new line to the cooker was not really selling me short by not mentioning it.
To bring it to best practice the lead pipe on my side would be replaced by a piece of rigid copper with the necessary bends and adapters to fit the iron pipe, probably with manometer points and earth clamps or whatever that were never fitted in the dark ages, and the meter chaps really should change their side to a stainless steel snake, and put the meter on a wall bracket or similar.. (I imagine it can be very like electricity - the company often seem quite oblivious to the rules and regs that apply to us mere mortals downstream of their meter,and are quite happy to supply an ancient piece of wet string from their side, and just change the meter.)
However none of this is actully really serious and we can just wait to the next meter change or when the boiler is 'done', and the gas man is already here on site, so no need to call him in specially.

Thank you to all for the peace of mind.
regards M.

When I had a piece of lead pipe replaced at the meter on an old house, the fitter commented that because lead can melt in a fire, it is preferable not to have lead on the gas supply. He was actually there to do something else (can't remember what) and I don't think I paid extra for the bit of steel pipe, so not a money-making suggestion.

You can always call what used to be Transco on 0800111999 and ask them - it's their pigeon. Tell them it's waggling about and they'll send someone to sort it, free. I would be interested to kow what they do about it.

Whenever I've called them they've put a bracket on, but left lead on the consumer side - that's not their responsibility.

Meters are supposed to be on a bracket, or I suppose sitting on their feet, but not hanging in the pipes, rigid or otherwise. SUrprised it's ID, one to remember.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back