Foil behind rads ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good afternoon,

What's yours thoughts on foil behind radiators to direct more heat into the room ?

Is it worth it ?
Does it work ?

Regards
Stoyer

Sponsored Links
It is a good idea if you have solid walls!

If its a cavity and particularly an insulated cavity then its not of any significant advantage.

Tony

It doesn't direct more heat into the room. It reflects radiant heat back to the radiator, so reducing the output of the radiator and reducing the warming of the wall behind. Might be worthwhile if the wall behind is external and poorly insulated, i.e. solid rather than cavity. Otherwise I don't think there's any point.

a hozizon prog did this with them warm Air cams .....

an then after sheets of foils
on rads ,norm= NO heat output ...

on rads shut off =room keeps Hot for 20%

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your input chaps,

I like the idea of the foil behind the rads - must help surely !

I have cavity walls and thinking about having cavity insulation injected ?
I have heard different opinions on the subject. The lounge has three exposed walls, two large windows and gets cold first.

Is this a good idea or is it best to keep the cavity open, damp passing through etc..
The house is a 1970 detached with a lot of air bricks directly below the timber floorboards.

Cheers
Stoyer

Cavity wall insulation is very worth while - probably more so than adding foil behind the radiator.

Cavity insulation makes a tremendous difference and is not very expensive.

Make sure you have done the loft thoroughly, and the draughts.

You will (should) find that the air bricks have liners so that the insulation cannot block them.

If you use the foil/insulation material ie NOT JUST FOIL & you put it on neat & tidy, not only do you save energy(if you do)
BUT
you can now decorate behind your rads without having to remove them.

Yesterday, in Weymouth, I was shown a house which had to have the cavity insulation removed because it was bridging damp into the inside wall.

It then had a different insulation fitted!

Tony

I live in Stockton on Tees & the council has a conservation shop.
A couple of years ago they were selling proper corrugated panels to fit behind radiators.
The panels are about 17" wide & can be overlapped to make any width.
I fitted the to all my main rads. & am very pleased with the results.
They are fitted with double sided tape which wasn`t very good, but no nails worked a treat.

JonB

Hi all,

Interesting reference the damp situation ! - that's what is bugging me.

The cavity is there for a reason. New build can leave an air gap, you can't when shooting beads in via a large hose ?
Is there not water proof material available ?

Plus,

How does the foil look, side on ? - has to look right or would spoil a nicely decorated room surely ?

Stoyer

I am assuming that the rads are off. The foil will look as good as YOU make it.
Before you take the rads off put a pencil mark to where you think you will see behind the rads.
Then ensure you cut & stick the foil neat & square. I did hav a piece that I didnt like the look off, so I bought a strip of flat ally & screwed it on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back