DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

How to sharpen chisels

Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
WabbitPoo

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:57 pm Reply with quote

I have a bench grinder, with a coarse and a fine wheel. Can I use it to sharpen a chisel really well? If not, what's the best way, and does it take hours of honing? I know it sounds lazy but I'd rather buy a new one instead!
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
splinter

from Antarctica

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:24 pm Reply with quote

You can reset the angle and get rid off any nicks on the chisel with the wheel , keep the chisel cool with water ,then finish it of on a oil stone.
To hone it on a oil stone use a figure of eight motion ,turn the chisel over lay it flat on the stone and rub it up and down to remove any burr ,repeat process until you are happy with the sharpness of your tool
Ps don't forget to put some 3in1 oil on the stone first,I would also recemend to people to keep one chisel for any work where it is going to get abused and not any from your best set that the wife bought you for your birthday
 Alert Moderators
Thermo

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:29 pm Reply with quote

i have two sets of chisels. One set in a leather roll thats for decent inside work and another cheaper set for the landscaping work (theyre still looked after but cheap enough to be replaced after the abuse of the rain and the outside conditions)

I bought the veritas sharpening system from axminster (about 35) which sets and holds the angle very accuratly and is very easy to use. Also does plane blades. Also buy a couple of decent indian oilstones rather than the crap ones they make now. they tend to wear out and gouge very quickly. You can still buy the real indian ones on e-bay as i dont think theyre made anymore. Cost around 20 but they will last a very very very long time.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/recno/3/product-Veritas-MkII-Honing-System-377359.htm
 Alert Moderators
gcol

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:03 pm Reply with quote

I hold a belt sander upside down and use that - takes about 10 secs. Obviously it's not an edge that you can shave with, but it's sharp enough and quick enough for my needs.
I have a decent pocket knife that gets sharpened with the Lansky system - now that is sharp!
 Alert Moderators
Deluks

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:52 pm Reply with quote

http://www.diynetwork.com/webdiy/channels/woodworking/

(Tricky to show the exact link as it's all in flash)

Look at the hand tools section from last week, the first part shows how to sharpen chisels.
 Alert Moderators
gcol

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:01 pm Reply with quote

What a horrible site! You can't do anything for the adverts.
 Alert Moderators
David P

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:51 pm Reply with quote

splinter wrote:
To hone it on a oil stone use a figure of eight motion

hey splinter, thats the first time i've ever heard of anyone else using the figure of eight trick to sharpen a chisel. Only thing is it only works for gauges, (chisels with a curved blade) it gives a really even edge all around the curved cutting edge. surely if you try and use it for bevel or mortise chisels it will end up giving you a slightly curved edge, the last thing you want.

one more trick, if you want your chisel to be Uber-sharp, try stropping it.
in other words lay a peice of tough leather on the bench and give it a final buff with that, just as you would if it were a stone. If you get fanatical about it you can get the cutting edge to a mirror finish and it will be as sharp as a scalpel. got no leather? use the suede palm of a safety glove, or at worst the palm of your hand, it still works.

edit: I am assuming that you never 'push' a chisel blade when sharpening. if you do - forget using the palm of your hand.
 Alert Moderators
splinter

from Antarctica

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:00 pm Reply with quote

David P wrote:
splinter wrote:
To hone it on a oil stone use a figure of eight motion

hey splinter, thats the first time i've ever heard of anyone else using the figure of eight trick to sharpen a chisel. Only thing is it only works for gauges, (chisels with a curved blade) it gives a really even edge all around the curved cutting edge. surely if you try and use it for bevel or mortise chisels it will end up giving you a slightly curved edge, the last thing you want.

one more trick, if you want your chisel to be Uber-sharp, try stropping it.
in other words lay a peice of tough leather on the bench and give it a final buff with that, just as you would if it were a stone. If you get fanatical about it you can get the cutting edge to a mirror finish and it will be as sharp as a scalpel. got no leather? use the suede palm of a safety glove, or at worst the palm of your hand, it still works.

edit: I am assuming that you never 'push' a chisel blade when sharpening. if you do - forget using the palm of your hand.

Beleive me,
You can still do a figure of eight holding the chisel flat to the oil stone, the idea behind it is ,it helps to keep the stone flat icon_smile.gif
 Alert Moderators
bazzil

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:08 pm Reply with quote

The best tool to sharpen chisels is a diamond wet stone, it does not use oil, but water "available at any good tap near you", it does not groove with constant use & is a lot lighter to carry.
 Alert Moderators
masona

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:09 pm Reply with quote

If you don't mind paying out, it's here
 Alert Moderators
Tozzy

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:06 pm Reply with quote

Alert Moderators
bazzil

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:48 pm Reply with quote

bazzil wrote:
The best tool to sharpen chisels is a diamond wet stone, it does not use oil, but water "available at any good tap near you", it does not groove with constant use & is a lot lighter to carry.
I bought mine quite cheap through here
 Alert Moderators
blister

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:50 pm Reply with quote

grind the end square then try to get an edge using water to cool the blade every 10 sec or so ,if the edge of the chissel goes black repeat the process again icon_sad.gif
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Tools and Materials All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: