Cracking paint on one wall.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last week I painted a spare room, now three walls were in a cream coloured paint and are no mocha colour and I had no problems with them. However the fourth wall was a dark green. I have painted this wall twice with the same colour paint, it's a B&Q coffee matt paint.

However all over the wall now is a fine egg shell cracks in a lovely pattern. Now I had just purchased polycell smoothover and started putting this stuff on thinking this was a big mistake. Ive stopped what have done now as ive got plaster boards and the wall is already smooth.

I think this wall was painted using silk paint, but I cannot tell now. I am going to get Polycell basecoat tomorrow. But will this do the job?

Stan..

Sponsored Links
Sorry Stan but no. Be patient, I'm sure somebody will be along to help resolve your frustrating problem.

The good folk at Dulux Decorating Centres are always very wise and ready to give advice - is there one near you?

The only thing I'd add is that there is so much variation in paint quality that I wouldn't buy cheap paint - you can make a nice thick looking paint out of just fillers and thickeners if you want.

Thanks for the info. Well I went to B&Q today and asked someone on what they would recommend. The guy I spoke to didn't really have a clue, but ive now purchased some basecoat emultion so I hope that will do the job.

Stan..

Sponsored Links
Provided the wall had not previously been papered, and left traces of paste on the surface, I have a feeling it will be because the previous paint was vinyl silk, and the new matt could not stick firmly enough. I don't know the solution, though. Some of the decorator guys may be home from work soon.

Well I placed a base coat 2 hours ago on the wall and so far so good, lets hope when it fully dries out the wall will be fine.

Finger crossed :LOL:

Stan..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back