Push fit connections.. copper or plastic?

H

HiZ

Will re-plumb and fit my bathroom this weekend.

I'd prefer to use copper rather than plastic pipe in 22mm for the bath with a reducing T for the feed to the sink.

I like the look of copper push fit connectors as the plastic ones seem like bits of lego... I guess they will all be hidden so does it matter.

Any comments?

Sponsored Links
I have just plumbed the central heating using Hep2o pipe and Speedfit fittings and found that it was simple. Make sure you use the same pipe inserts as the pipe you use (I didn't and now have a couple of fittings with inserts stuck in them - well you live and learn!). All wnet together easily once I got the knack of fitting them and placing the joints in the correct places.

The fittings grip copper very well, I have used chrome plated copper tails on the rads and once I removed the chrome the teeth in the fitting held onto the pipe firmly.

If you are looking to use the cuproft style fittings just because you don't like the look of the plastic parts then it might be worth thinking again unless you have a specific reason.

I'd be interested to hear what other people think.
simon

the price of copper these is forcing hep on every one i would expect

Sponsored Links
I agree with simon_t 100%.

For pushfit I favour demountable Hep2o, which is very good quality and, also, er, demountable. With Hep2o on copper you can take the fittings apart and feed the O ring on by hand to remove any risk of damage.

John Guest is prettier - I tend to use it with copper for the visible parts of basin supplies, but make sure that your pipe cutter is in good nick - burrs will fatally wound O rings.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back