pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can I connect 15mm plastic pipe from the rising main to the electric Mira shower, or do I need to use 15mm copper?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Although I would always use copper, you can use plastic UNLESS the manufacturer requires a short length of copper for the last part connected to the shower unit. Check their instructions.

I hope you are supplying the shower through an RCD !

Tony

Supplying the shower through an RCD is not mandatory, just desirable for most people.

However, you are required to deploy and test supplementary equipotential bonding in the bathroom - if the CPC on the shower supply is big enough then you can bond to that from everything else.

Sponsored Links
corgiman said:
dont forget part P :):):)

If you are in England/Wales!!! Me thinks he might be Scottish.
An RCD is not mandatory unless the manufacturer specifies it. It is however considered good practice.
The CPC of the shower doesn't have much of a bearing on the supplementary eq. bonding, it may require the eq. bonding size to be increased though. ;)

Spark123 said:
An RCD is not mandatory unless the manufacturer specifies it.
I don't see how the manufacturer can make it mandatory.

The CPC of the shower doesn't have much of a bearing on the supplementary eq. bonding, it may require the eq. bonding size to be increased though. ;)
As I said, if the CPC is big enough it can be bonded to, and as you've said, if it isn't big enough then more bonding back to the MET will be required.

In other words, it has a bearing on the supplementary equipotential bonding.

Or are you implying that the bonding run back to the MET is not supplementary? If so then I don't agree.

Local supplementary bonding within a bathroom does not go back to the MET. Its sole purpose is to create an equipotential zone within the bathroom, i.e. so no two exposed/extraneous conductive parts can have a potential between them which can cause harm to a person who has a lowered body resistance.
There is a different type of supplementary bonding which is to do with limiting touch voltage increasing disconnection times and connects to the MET.
What I should have said re the RCD is the manufacturers instruction over-rules the iee regs.
Do you have a copy of GN7 re special locations Softus?

Spark123 said:
There is a different type of supplementary bonding which is to do with limiting touch voltage increasing disconnection times and connects to the MET.
I stand corrected - this is what I must have thinking of. I apologise.

What I should have said re the RCD is the manufacturers instruction over-rules the iee regs.
I concur.

Do you have a copy of GN7 re special locations Softus?
Nope - do you want to sell me one cheap? :D

Thanks spark123. I'd read Paul Cook's article before, but obviously not recently enough.

I note that some BCOs are not fully aquainted either, because the other day I saw a spark insist on running the en-suite bonding back to the MET, saying he knew that the BCO would make him do it. He also wanted to bond a copper pipe that I'd run for eight feet to supply a fridge and tee'd off the incoming mains (which was alcathene underground) using a Hep2o fitting. I told him that the kitchen isn't a special location and doesn't need supplementary bonding, which he appeared to accept.

Thanks for this reply re the 15mm plastic pipes.

I am getting an electrician to connect the shower to the consumer unit - I am just going to do the plumbing.

Do I need to earth the plastic pipes, or will an electrician simply earth the shower unit for me when he installs is?

If the last few inches of the pipe going into the shower are copper (ie rising main - plastic pipe - copper end section - shower unit) does that change it?

As stated, I am in Scotland so Part P doesn't apply here.

Really appreciate your help

There's no way, or need, to earth plastic pipework.

Your electrician will determine the bonding and earthing requirements when he does the job - it would probably be best not to tell him that you've predetermined what he needs to do by asking on a DIY web site - most of like to reach our own conclusions, and remember that he has to certify his work and therefore has to do it his way.

Softus said:
There's no way, or need, to earth plastic pipework.

Your electrician will determine the bonding and earthing requirements when he does the job - it would probably be best not to tell him that you've predetermined what he needs to do by asking on a DIY web site - most of like to reach our own conclusions, and remember that he has to certify his work and therefore has to do it his way.

Seconded,
If you want a better idea of what is required for peace of mind see the iee doc I posted above.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back