Incorrectly fitted TRVs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As part of my getting to grips with the basics of central heating I learned that before the introduction of bi-directional TRVs, they had to be fitted on the flow side of rads.

Having just checked my own (I've been in this house a few months) I found that in every instance the TRV is fitted on the return side. Each is marked with an arrow (which I assume indicates the required direction of flow) and in every case the flow (as indicated by the relative temperatures of the pipes) is in the opposite direction to the arrow.

Questions: why did some TRVs need to be on the flow side? Surely if they are simply closing as a result of the room temperature reaching a certain level it doesn't matter whether they close the return or the flow side? And what is the result of my having my TRVs on the wrong side?

TIA Stephen

Sponsored Links
The original installer probably got the flow and returns from the boiler mixed up.

If there is only one arrow then they are the wrong way around, what will happen is that they will bang\knock etc as the seating tries to close but you didnt mention this so i assume this is not the case. I cannot comment on the mechanics of an omni directional TRV but if the arrow is the wrong way then assume that the TRV is not working properly/effectivly.

Thanks bster.

There's been no banging or knocking from the valves. They appear to be working fine.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back