Voltage -- today's wireless broadband routers multi-voltage?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Folks,

I'm considering buying this wireless broadband router from Amazon.com, but the big issue is about voltage.

Interested in this Linksys router, but the Amazon blow-up pic of it shows, naturally, a power adaptor with the standard North American two-pins. This makes me think that it's a 110 V router ONLY.

Is my assumption correct, or are small devices like routers for 110 V - 220 V use? (Which would make them truly trans-Atlantic operational :p)

Just wondering, since even my old PC (from '97) was multi-voltage, with a switch-flick.

Cheers,
RS ;)

Sponsored Links
Er, you've answered the question yourself - the only difference wrt to power is the adaptor.

Softus said:
Er, you've answered the question yourself - the only difference wrt to power is the adaptor.

Thanks for the reply! Good to know. I'll check out the price of Euopean adaptors for it therefore here. I guess therefore that "12V DC" is labelled on the base of this equipment".

RS

Sponsored Links
Softus said:
Don't guess; look.

Hey!

I'm unable to, alas, since as I said the router's at Amazon.com. Naturally, I have no access to the base of routers manufactured in the US 'cos I live in Europe. Otherwise, I'd already have checked.

RS

Ah. Fair point. I apologise.

An alternative is to buy the equipment from Amazon.co.uk, instead of ".com".

Softus said:
Ah. Fair point. I apologise.

An alternative is to buy the equipment from Amazon.co.uk, instead of ".com".

No prob, and thanks for the e-mail back. In fact, I would buy it from the UK, but, you know, the pound is very strong against the euro at the moment -- whereas it's advantageous for me to buy at a dollar rate (hence from Amazon.com) because of the weak dollar, strong euro...

Cheers and best wishes,
RS :)

i suspect the supplied power adaptor will be 110V only (power bricks for such appliances generally are). I susgest waiting until you have the router and can look at the ratings on the power brick supplied before looking for a replacement.

plugwash said:
i suspect the supplied power adaptor will be 110V only (power bricks for such appliances generally are). I susgest waiting until you have the router and can look at the ratings on the power brick supplied before looking for a replacement.

True, so true, I hadn't put that into the equation -- thanks for bringing it up. I have to plan ahead on this matter now, so does anybody here know specifically about whether the power brick will indeed be 110v only? (Any North Americans here who can look at their power cord now to verify, plz!!!!!!!)

????????

RS

Surely someone here knows!! Plz help us out w/an answer asap!!! I need confirmation one way or the other.

RS :confused:

Some appliances have a transformer which can be connected to any mains voltage: Usually labelled something like "INPUT VOLTAGE: 100-240V"

securespark said:
Some appliances have a transformer which can be connected to any mains voltage: Usually labelled something like "INPUT VOLTAGE: 100-240V"

Folks,

Come on, are there any Americans here who can CHECK!!!!! All it takes is for you is to look at the base of your router.

I need to have a definitive answer ASAP!!!!!! :mad:

RS

Just got e-mail back from Linksys. The power adaptor is 110~120V rated. Glad I know now, cos there's no way I'd bother now getting a European power adaptor for it, given their cost. Will just buy the router from closer home at inflated European prices :rolleyes: ....oh well...

RS

I would be more worried about the telephone connection than supply voltage.
Even in UK there are routers designed to connect to a LAN as one would get with a cable TV provider and those which connect to 50 volt telephone line.

Sponsored Links
Back