Cutting Difficult access copper pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
the compression joint with a tap that runs from the mains to the washing machine is leaking vbadly I don't have any special tools (usual basic girlie stuff) but I do have mole grips. I've tried to undo the joint but felt I was about to start sheering off the nut. If I squirt some WD40 or some sort of domestic limescale remover and leave it overnight will it loosen the nuts? Or Is there a way of cutting off the pipe and fixing a new tap joint to feed into the washing machine. The pipe is quite close to the wall - is there some sort of bendy blade that I can hook beind the pipe to saw it thru? I would be extremely grateful for any help you can give me as I'm with out water. Many thanks in anticipation Gillian

Sponsored Links
Usually you can unclip the pipe somewhere to get it away from a wall. Plan ahead - what are you going to do if you get the nut undone??!
Your mole grips can hold the washing machine tap or fitting but you need another spanner to turn the nut.

What happens if you try to tighten the nut slightly? (I say slightly, because over doing it can make it worse rather than better, and a spanner on the nut AND the tap is needed as ChrisR has said). If you only have mole grips, do you have two pairs?

Sponsored Links
If u r using mole grips on the nut there is a good chance that its no longer round makin it harder to undo. Spanner or adjusable wrench please!

bab said:
If u r using mole grips on the nut there is a good chance that its no longer round makin it harder to undo. Spanner or adjusable wrench please!

uh?? no longer round?
garethgas

Not once have I failed in more years than I care to mention to cut a pipe without a junior hacksaw.
Yes its tricky, yes it can be awkward but thats life Jim
garethgas

garethgas said:
Not once have I failed in more years than I care to mention to cut a pipe without a junior hacksaw.
Do you mean with?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back