Awkward undersink pipework

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 90 deg bend waste pipe leading to the outside, but it is through the back of a unit. I am looking to replace the sink and accompanying pipework and want to know how I can replace this joint. It looks like solvent weld to me but no 100% sure.
The new sink will have 1 1/2 bowls and I have a McAlpine twin bowl trap and plumbing kit SK1 but the 90 deg outgoing waste is posing a problem....
And before anyone asks...No I didnt install this mess, I am just replacing it!
HELP!!!
DSCF0002.jpg
[/img]

Sponsored Links
Hello Diva-why is the 90 degree waste posing a problem? Its hard to tell whats going on from your picture. From what i can see it looks like someone has tried to seal the flexi joint with silicone.

That is exactly what they have done! I want to replace all that pipework, along with the sink and put in new...but the last connection going out of the wall is a 90deg bend and I will ideally like to have a straight there so that the fall is sufficient. The 90 deg bend is 'bonded' to a flexi pipe that in turn is 'bonded' to a grey 'T' and there are actually no traps under this sink!! I suppose that the twisty route of the flexi pipe actually acts as a trap of some sort at the moment as they havent complained of foul smells :LOL:

Is the 90 elbow a pushfit? it looks like it-I would pull the elbow off and replace it with a straight coupler in compression and this should then fit any type of 40mm waste you choose to use from there on,gives you a bit more room to play with by losing the elbow -failing that ,can you not do away with the existing waste thru the wall and core out another hole lower down to give room for traps etc.?

Sponsored Links
It looks as though I will have to cut away a bit more of the back of the cupboard as I wont be able to do the compression fitting up. I am hoping that the 90deg fitting is push fit, but if it isnt where do I go from there? I spose I may have just enough room to cut it from the outgoing waste to put on another solvent weld straight coupling if I take more of the back of the cupboard off. This should give me adequate fall as the new set up including trap is going to run parallel to the existing run about 3 inches lower. Running the waste pipe directly to the new straight coupling would still be ok, but only if I can get a straight on it!

Looks like either way you're gonna have to cut a bit bigger hole in the back of the cupboard-not the end of the world,but remember,pushfit and solvent weld 40mm do not match up thats why i suggested a compession 40mm coupler so it will tighten onto whatever it is, just need to cut a hole big enough to tighten the joint, but from the picture I would still say it looks like pushfit. Good luck :LOL:

It does look like a push fit diy joint which would make a lot of sense when u look at that flexi pipe. the silver fittings are Italian Lira that come with franke sink's & it would of had a trap built in so to choose not to use it would suggest a bodge job. try turning the white 90 bend to see if u can turn it hoizontal. if it is push fit it should move without much effort.What sort of pipe is it out side?

Well the grey fittings look to be straight forward 't' and elbow joints and no sign of a trap at all. The flexi pipe was pushed in and sealed with sealant (Which then leaked...hence the call out for me!!) and the pipe winds its way to the back of the unit where it is pushed and sealant sealed into the 90 deg fitting. The flexi is too long and twists round, up and over to the 90deg.
This is all coming out and a new sink and pipework going in, just hoping that it is a push fit so that I can connect the new pipework easily. Its not the easiest of cupboards to get into either...
Will see tomorrow when I rip the lot out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back