Ariston Microgenius 23 hot water oddities!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
I have had a quick search and can't find anything exactly like this so here goes!

We bought a house last year which had a Microgenius 23 combi boiler fitted and it worked perfectly - full flow hot showers and perfect heating.

We went away in March and had a new kitchen fitted, which involved moving a radiator, and upon our return, we had problems with the hot water instantly. When the pressure is low (i.e quarter turn on the shower) the water is fine, but when you open the bath tap or shower fully now, the water gets hot after about 10 seconds, but then goes tepid and stays that way. Before this I could have the showr/bath tap on full flow and the water was piping hot.

I have a friend of a friend who is a plumber, so I called him and he suggested it could be the diverter valve diaphragm, but when he came down a few days later, a few other guys he knew said it was more likely to be the heat exchange (we are in South Bucks so quite a hard water area) so he stripped the boiler and cleaned this out (it was quite badly scaled).

This made no difference at all.

A neighbour who had a similar problem said that he had changed his diverter valve (the diaphragm in his old one was perished) and this rectified the problem, so I bought a new valve from onlineplumbingspares and got the toolkit out!

I was surprised to see that the new valve was literally just that - the brasswork, and no new diaphragm etc etc. I carefully migrated the old temp sensors (x2), diaphragm/spring and valve acuator across, and fired the old girl up expecting great things.....

...however....

the low pressure water is now much hotter than before (feels at least 7-10 degrees hotter) but the high pressure, open shower/bath tap is exactly as before, i.e hot initially, and then tepid....

The diaphragm looked OK on inspection - a little 'baggy' perhaps but no tears or leaks, but I am now at a loss as to what to try next!

I'd change the boiler but we will be moving in 6 months so I'd rather keep this one going if I can!

Any ideas chaps?!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Measure the flow at showering temperature. 23kW only gives about 8 litres/minute. Any more flow and it will be cooler. It does vary with the incoming mains temp.

I am not very impressed by this "friend of a friend" plumber. He seems unable to diagnose the fault himself and has to take suggestions from his friends which turned out to be wrong anyway.

My usual suggestion is that you save up and employ a competent boiler engineer to sort it out for you properly!

Tony Glazier

ChrisR said:
Measure the flow at showering temperature. 23kW only gives about 8 litres/minute. Any more flow and it will be cooler. It does vary with the incoming mains temp.

I did think this but that wouldn't explain why it used to work fine (and considering we moved in last October when I suspect the incoming mains temp is much lower than now)

Sponsored Links
Its still better to measure it than think about it !

Time how long it takes to fill a bucket of known volume.

To know the volume count how many one litre jugs it takes to fill it.

Its usually about 5 litres.

If you want then you can pay about £30 for a Weir guage! Tip, a bucket is cheaper!

Tony

but that wouldn't explain why it used to work fine (and considering we moved in last October when I suspect the incoming mains temp is much lower than now)
To be honest I wouldn't be surprised if it's working OK and your memory is faulty - not a snipe at you, that's what memories do!
23 kW will only give you so much hw.

Still, maybe you're right!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back