Hot Water troubles!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I have a 40 gallon FORD oil fired hot water tank in my basement. It's only about 7 years old and we've have no problems with anything up until now.

In the past 6 months, we've been getting scalding hot water from the cold water valves of our sinks for 5-10 seconds when you turn them on after no having used them for a while. Eventually the hot water goes away and you get cold water just fine. The hot side always had a sufficient supply of hot water.

Yesterday, i installed a flapper check valve horizontally just before the cold water enters the tank hoping that it would stop any hot water from flowing back up the cold water line. Unfortunately, i'm still getting hot water from the cold line.

Also a new problem was created by doing this. Now when i take a shower, the water cycles from really hot, to really cold every 2-3 minutes which it's never done before. In the past i could take a 20 minute shower without the temperature ever changing once. Does anyone know what could be wrong?

Thanks,
Chris

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back