fridge freezer fault

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help!
My hotpoint fridge freezer (9 months old) has started making a loud vibrating noise.
I have reported it to suppliers but they can't get anybody out to look at until next Tuesday.
Guess what we have just loaded it with the weekly shopping, sods law.
As anybody any idea what could be causing this and is there any action I can take .
I have noticed that there is a tray at the back of the unit and this appears to be full of water.
Its supposed to be a frost free fridge!
The noise is driving us mad and I can only think to switch off the fridge for fear of the motor over heating.
The call centre were not much use apart from giving me the first available date an engineer could call.

Sponsored Links
should have been put in appliances.

our old hotpoint vibrated. we put it down to the fan in the freezer vibrating against the case, nothing to worry about. But if theres water in the condensate tray all the time, this is worrying. A small amount occasionally is normal. a large amount constantly is not. It should evaporate due to heat from the drain heaters or compressor.

A few easy checks that may help:

Check that it is level, and that the adjustable feet are all firmly on the floor.

Also test that the door seal is fitting correctly all round. It should grip a slip of paper so that you can't pull it out.

Have you got a thermometer to check that the temperature is correct, e.g. not running continuously and too cold? And it is not placed in a hot or sunny spot?

drspock said:
I have noticed that there is a tray at the back of the unit and this appears to be full of water.
Its supposed to be a frost free fridge!

Frost-free fridges work by periodically melting the small ice build up on the back wall, guiding it to that tray (which is above the hot compressor), and allowing it to evaporate.

Sponsored Links
Thanks everybody for your advice.
Sorry crafty didn't see appliance section and I am not sure how to transfer it.

+++++++++++++++

I'll move it for you

Mod Rupert

+++++++++++++++

I have checked what everybody has reccomended and everything checked out.
As a last resort I played around with the various settings and put it on super freeze and lo and behold, the vibration ceased .
Not to sure why, or if this will result in the freezer recovering but will let you know in due course.
Once again many thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back