Smelly Washing Machine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please help. My washing machine started to smell, when we opened the door. Now it is really bad, even the clothes smell as soon as they have been washed. I have checked the small drain thing in bottom right hand corner, and it doesnt seem to be blocked. Anyone got any idea what we could do?

Sponsored Links
1/2 packet washing soada on 60 degree wash, no clothes.

and do you use liquid "soap powder"?

breezer said:
1/2 packet washing soada on 60 degree wash, no clothes.

Unles the weather is very hot, and your kitchen is not overlooked, I recommend that you wear a pair of pants at the least.

Also, take out the Soap Drawer and give it a good clean to remove all the congealed old soap powder, and the mildew that grows on it. Clean out the slot it goes in to as well. Clean out the blocked syphon in the fab soft compartment.

Sponsored Links
Check that the mahine is connected to the hot and cold water feeds , i have seen this before , smelly washing machine and it turned out it was connected on a flow and return of the central heating circuit... a proper DIY bodge job.

Check supply and washed out as suggested, and cleaned tray etc, but it still smells. Someone said something about the upstand?? Anymore suggestions?? Annoying thing is, it not that old, not even 2 years Bosch

Have a look at the waste hose. Does it go into a standpipe, or does it connect to the sink trap? Sink trap connections can allow dirty water to run down the pipe into the machine.

If you take off the waste hose, the remaining water in the machine will run out as you lower the hose towards a bucket on the floor. See if this residue is dirty.

There is a chance that a woolen sock or something has got stuck in the tub and started to rot, though I would have thought this would not smell if the machine is used frequently.

Thanks for advice, but have taken out waste hose and there was no water in it, although i had removed water from machine using drain pipe thing on front - this water was dirty!. Have tried everything suggested but it sill smells - any more advice?

JohnD said:
... the waste hose. Does it go into a standpipe, or does it connect to the sink trap?...

(I still want to know)

pdfctu said:
- any more advice?

wash it again.

a smell in a w/m is caused by bacteria, or dirty water re entering the m/c.

if you do not kill the bacteria or stop your m/c using / getiing dirty water it will smell.

If you have washed it as suggested and it still smells you have either dirty water getting in, or did not clean it enough in the first place.

also change to using a well known brand of soap powder if you are not already

sorry JohnD - it uses an upstand - however the trap it goes into is clear.
Just dont know how dirty water can get in - well confused

pdfctu said:
Just dont know how dirty water can get in - well confused

i never said it is, i said

breezer said:
wash it again.

a smell in a w/m is caused by bacteria, or dirty water re entering the m/c.

if you do not kill the bacteria or stop your m/c using / getiing dirty water it will smell.

If you have washed it as suggested and it still smells you have either dirty water getting in, or did not clean it enough in the first place.

also change to using a well known brand of soap powder if you are not already

why do you not actualy read what is writen, and not just read what you think you see? if you did you could answer the questiones asked of you

e.g you still have not said about what you use to wash with

Usually use ariel powder. But have been cleaning as suggested with powdered persil - and lots of it. Dont used liquids really - only softner

pdfctu said:
Usually use ariel powder. But have been cleaning as suggested with powdered persil - and lots of it. Dont used liquids really - only softner

Try using less powder - one of the things that happens is that excess powder forms sludgy deposits in the machine (you probably found some round the powder drawer) and gets mildew on it.

The recommended hot washes with no powder are to remove this old sludge. Keep doing it until the water comes out clean.

Try hot-washing some cotton towels with no power - if it foams up and washes, then there is still excess powder residue in the machine (or towels)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back