whirlpool awm 6140

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Washing machine will not work on any programme.
The machine makes all the right noises .. I can hear all the usual clicks and whirs, but after about 1 minute it all goes quiet and the "door open" light starts to flash ....... thats it.
I have replaced the inerconnect switch(?) on the inside of the machine where the door latch locates into, however no joy.
Thats me stumped ... can anyone help ??
cheers in advance

Sponsored Links
Do you hear the pump run when you start it?
Does the drum turn at all?
These are quite complex machines which run a "self diagnosis" every time they are started.
Most common is the motor not turning, possibly carbon brushes.

Thanks for the reply.
The pump runs for a short while then stops .. (this when the "door open" light starts starts blinking).
The drum doesn't turn at all.

The machine carries out several checks and one of these is motor action. If it doesn't turn it throws up an error.
The start light should be flashing a code. Count the flashes between pauses and post the result here.

Sponsored Links
the start line stays on continuously, whilst the door open light flashes continuously ... ie no breaks in between, to indicate an error code.

Check the carbons in the motor, that's the most common problem.
Other than that you're probably going to have to get an engineer in to diagnose.

cheers sleepyhead ... new carbons fitted, all sorted.
wish I'd found this forum before spending £17 on a switch I didn't need !!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back