Backpumping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a problem with my system in that when it comes on to heat up water, I get a constant backpumping of hot water into the small header tank in the loft. I had the setting on the pump turned down and this stopped it for a while, but then it returned.
Yesterday I had the whole system power flushed (not cheap). The guy tested the system with the central heating and hot water on. There was no backpumping. This morning the system came on to heat the water and, to my horror, the back pumping has started again. It lasted for the whole two hours that the system was on.
I cannot seem to get anyone to identify what exactly the problem is and how to stop it.
Has anyone any idea what the problem is? I am really frustrated by this.

Sponsored Links
Its connected up wrong. or the cold feeds blocked.

Explain backpumping, Do you mean its pumping over the vent, or going up the cold feed.

We're going to want all the information about the system, boiler make model, type of system, position of pump, cold feed and vent etc.

Halstead boiler, open vented system. The water is flowing out of the bent pipe and into the small tank.

Sponsored Links
Is it on the flow or the return.

Where does the cold feed and vent connect.

Is it a gravity primaries or fully pump, on a Y or S plan.

Can you post a pic or drawing.

My understanding of the system does not go that far. It is fully pumped I believe. Not sure if it is Y or S.

pablo100 said:
My understanding of the system does not go that far. It is fully pumped I believe. Not sure if it is Y or S.

Ok we will need the information to solve the problem.

First has it always pumped over or is this something new.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back