Landlords gas safety

Slugbabydotcom said:
What hits me about Tonys case is the fact that the guy doing an LGSC does not have to inspect a fire that does not belong to the landlord. So how can the landlord be responsible for a flue where he is not obliged to have the fire at the bottom of it tested?

Thats quite easy to explain, ( I think! )

The fire belongs to the tenant so the landlord has no responsibility for it or for testing it.

The landlord's flue however is another matter! There are lots of Acts covering Landlord and Tenant matters and then there is "Common Law" which can be used for anything which is not more specifically covered by L&T legislation. Its NOT normally possible to Contract out of Government legislation whether Chris agrees or not!

You cannot normally exclude the basic requirements of renting property by just saying that flues are unusable. They would have to be bricked up and rendered non available. Anything like stairs, flues or windows are legally "present" if they are there and accessible. In that case the landlord has a Common Law obligation to ensure that they are safe and kept operating and in good order.

To enable the Landlord to know that his property is safe then a conscientious RGI would test the landlords flue if the tenant is using them. There is NO legal requirement for the flues to be tested BUT if they were unsafe then the Landlord would be liable!

I would say that a landlord would be entitled to sue an RGI who did not test his flues and advise him of his legal obligation to ensure they are safe. The RGI is the expert on gas safety NOT the Landlord.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Talking of flue flow and spillage I had to issue a LGSR in a flat today that had a newish DFE/Victorian register grate in the living room.

The installer had correctly installed a 200mm liner and metal gather in the Victorian chimney breast as the chimney sweep had identified problems with the flue.

Unfortunately the fireplace installer had left the damper plate closable (it was not secured in the open position) and had not bothered to backfill behind the insert (with vermiculite/cement etc).

The property is on BG homecare with these basic faults.

Sponsored Links
Damper plates should either be removed from the cast iron insert or securely fixed in an open position ie screwed (not always that easy)

Its NOT normally possible to Contract out of Government legislation whether Chris agrees or not!

No need for snide remarks, Tony. Which legislation? Cite it.

Stating that there are lots of laws, and asserting that they uphold a position, is rather vacuous, and pointless. Opinions aren't relevant. It's what is written that matters.

All I'm doing is reporting what we found last time the subject was discussed. Are you still failing to remember where the discussion on gas-news, was left? We found, as agreed by the editor of the site that, as the literature at the time said, it's the tenant's responsibility to test the flues he uses.

You cannot normally exclude the basic requirements of renting property by just saying that flues are unusable.
Where does it say that?

They would have to be bricked up and rendered non available.
Where does it say that?

Anything like stairs, flues or windows are legally "present" if they are there and accessible. In that case the landlord has a Common Law obligation to ensure that they are safe and kept operating and in good order.
Where does it say that? You're saying that a landlord cannot leave any sash windows painted shut. Don't be silly. The landlord doesn't have to do an "mot" on the whole property , to "ensure" the stairs, for example haven't become infested with woodworm. It is the tenant's responsibility to report dilapidations to the landlord.

Where does it say a landlord has to provide flues for a tenant's use? Some flues aren't suitable for some appliances - does he have to alter them according to the whim of the tenant? A tenant doesn't necessarily NEED a flue any more than he needs an attic, or a garage, or a garden - all of which are regularly excluded from the tenant's rights of use, in the tenancy agreement.

To enable the Landlord to know that his property is safe then a conscientious RGI would test the landlords flue if the tenant is using them.
That's only your opinion Tony. Not relevant to the facts under discussion. There are several other options open to the "conscientious RGI".

There is NO legal requirement for the flues to be tested
Oh, right, you've changed your mind since the start of the same posting!

BUT if they were unsafe then the Landlord would be liable!
Liable to mend them, only. And only if not excluded from the tenant's rights of use.

I would say that a landlord would be entitled to sue an RGI who did not test his flues The RGI is the expert on gas safety NOT the Landlord.
Knowing a landlord's responsibilities is part of the responsibility of the landlord! It isn't a gas safety matter, it's a landlord's responsibility matter.

and advise him (..the landlord..) of his legal obligation to ensure they are safe.
As you just agreed, the landlord is not responsible for testing the flues. Therefore he is not in a position to "ensure" that they are safe. The testing is the tenant's responsibility, the repair the landlord's.

Otherwise you would have the farcical position of a landlord having to test all the chimneys in a property in case a tenant wants to add a fire.

I'm trying to use logic to determine the position, not state an opinion.

"""Stating that there are lots of laws, and asserting that they uphold a position, is rather vacuous, and pointless. Opinions aren't relevant. It's what is written that matters."""

Exactly! The Government make laws and in most cases we have to comply with the laws of the country.

Neither you nor I can Contract out of those laws. I would like to contract out of the laws which limit my driving speeds and impose penalties if I exceed displayed limits.

Similarly, as I Landlord, I have to comply with the L&T laws which require me to maintain my properties in good state of repair. I cannot contract out of those laws! If my tenant uses my flue then I have to ensure that they are properly maintained and are operating safely under those L&T Acts. There are too many to quote, first major Acts in 1925 !

I well remember that discussion on Gas-News. Thats exactly what it was, a discussion! It did not make any laws, it just allowed various contributors to state their interpretation.

Tony

Agile said:
""""""The Government make laws and in most cases we have to comply with the laws of the country.""""""
Do you have an example of a law with which you don't have to comply?

Softus said:
Agile said:
""""""The Government make laws and in most cases we have to comply with the laws of the country.""""""
Do you have an example of a law with which you don't have to comply?

You look lost for words :LOL: :LOL:

next time you have a faulty fitting, when you get the replacement, bill them for your time changing it, you may get a suprise. :LOL:

Hang on how'd that get in here :eek:

I well remember that discussion on Gas-News. Thats exactly what it was, a discussion! It did not make any laws, it just allowed various contributors to state their interpretation.

Not so well that you forget the point. It was to decide what the duties of of an RGI are when undertaking a LGSR, by reference to published material. Same as I raised in this thread.

It is only you who is making bold (and in my opinion illogical and faulty, but not worth going into here) statements about your interpretation of laws about OTHER duties of landlords.

I have to ensure that they (flues) are properly maintained and are operating safely under those L&T Acts.
In terms of gas safety that means getting LGSR's.
If you as landlord decide you want more than that, that's a separate issue, not relevant in a discussion on RGI's duties on an LGSR.
Which other aspects of the repair of the building do you feel a statutory duty to pre-emptively investigate? An Annual Floor Check, to make sure they haven't burned a hole through it???

Logically then you'll be testing ALL flues in case fires are installed - up to you.

ChrisR said:
how can the landlord be responsible for a flue
In the same way he has to provide a roof which doesn't leak. That doesn't mean he has to test it!
If he rents the place stating the flues are not usable, then he doesn't have the responsibility. I know places where that is the case.
After reading Tony's post, the picture I drew in my mind when I wrote my last post referred to a problem that wasnt obvious.
If a tenant had a fire fitted and everything was ok at the time of fitting.
Say 4 yrs later a bird built a nest on the top of the flue and there was a leak from the flue into an upstairs room and a canary died as a result of CO poisoning :( . The landlord could have no idea that the tenant had even fitted a fire!
I have been doing some work lately for an agent who manages about 180 properties in the North East. Over half of these are owned by a guy in London who has probably never even seen most of his properties other than on an auctioneers photograph.
Applying the above scenario to Tonys' case would in my opinion leave a landlord unfairly liable for something which he knew nothing about

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back