Calling all who have had experience with Puma 80's!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently had a problem with my potterton puma 80 where the heating was getting hot with the hot water running.
Also the central heating barely got hot and was very slow in operation.
I replaced the wax capsule and now it seems fine the central heating gets nice and hot and the hot water flows without heating up the CH.
The only problem (if it is a problem) is that when you shut the hot water tap off you get a burst of heat shoot up the flow for the central heating and consequentially heats the radiators. Does anyone know whether this is normal or if i have another problem. All help will be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
If there is any significant heating of the rads after DHW has been used this may not be normal.

You should check if the DHW flow switch is turning off immediately the demand has ceased.

If you are safe to take off the front cover then look at the PCB in the front and you will see a red LED which illuminates when there is a DHW demand.

The LED should go out immediately the tap is turned off.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Hi Tony

The red LED does go out after you shut the tap off but the radiators do heat up slightly with the surge of heat that is sent through.

Talking about the DHW flow switch and the red LED sometimes i have noticed that the LED intermittantly doesn't light when DHW is called for and obviously i get no hot water until i shut the tap and open it again which lights the LED.

The red LED should light immediately the DHW is taken.

The flow actuator may be failing !

Probably about £45 to buy and quite easy to fit ( for me anyway! )

Tony

If it's intermittent, that might be due to water having got into the electrical microswitch which is operated by the hydraulic part, which can leak. In that case you'll have to replace both.

the microswitch can also be adjusted and wound down closer to the spindle it it hasnt already been done, check to see if theres any thread left

this sould in thoery make it more sensitive

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back