New Boiler losing pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had a new condensing boiler installed (Grant) as the last one completely died asfter 20 years. The system is now pressurised whereas before it was gravity fed, in six weeks I have lost the 1 bar pressure that I had and the plumber from the company who installed it, started telling me about leaking pipes under the floor etc...which sounds very costly.
I have had a quick look around the tank in the loft and most of the visible pipes/radiators and have found 3 radiators (out of 13) which are 'damp' around the valves at the bottom - I wouldnt say wet but just damp. My 6 million dollar question is could this have caused the loss of pressure or am I looking for a major leak?

thank you

Sponsored Links
When we change a tank fed heating system to a sealed (pressurised) system we always change all the rad valves, and we dont install to existing pipes under the floor - usually put new drops\runs to rads.

So it may well be worth changing the rad valves if you think they are leaking - how old are the rad valves?

The installer should be sorting all this out though - they should have told you about the possibility of leaks under the floor and given you options on new pipe runs above floor level etc..

In addition to the above the brand new programmer stopped working and when a new one was fitted that blew as well...I was told that it was probably the room thermostat (the only bit that wasnt changed by this company), this all happened with an accompanying intermittant schreeching sound (ie the boiler stopping and the programmer 'blowing'). The programmer only blew when I switched it to heating as well as hot water though.

hopefully some has some good news....

thanks

The radiator valves are at least 20 years old I think...

I wasnt given an option of new pipes but I was told that there could be a problem, so we paid for the whole system to be tested to 2 bar pressure before starting the whole process (the test was carried out by the same company etc)

thanks

Sponsored Links
Well i'm not sure that 2bar test is sufficent as the pressure from cold is 1-1.5bar and its probably running to 2.5bar when hot!

If the programmer they installed is playing up and they say its probably the roomstat - change the room stat - bearing in mind that some boilers and programmers require specific voltages - they should have checked this as well.

They came and put another programmer on and then that one blew that was when they said it was probably the room stat...they are coming back today..

thanks again

you have leak thats the sure thing here, slow oone but its there.

sometime dirt can stick in the P.R.V and cause pressure to drop.

is the discharge dripping, and that not the condensate discharge.

as for the electrics?? maybe a wiring fault in the system, old wiring to the stat ect...

a sparky would be the best person to sort that one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back