STOP TAP LEAKING

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Turned stop tap off about 1 hour ago to replace tap on bathroom sink.
Turned water back on but now my STOP TAP is dripping/leaking at a rate of 1 pint in 3-4 mins (I have a pint jug under it so thats how I know!)
Not done the obvious (which is to turn it off) as my washing machine is running but I will when its finished!
It also gave me a chance to realise how much is dripping.
Seems like it will never stop!
It has happened before when I had to turn on/off the STOP TAP but only 1 drip every 30-60 seconds!
It then seemed to sort itself out!

Any ideas guys?!

Sharon

Sponsored Links
Buy some spanners.

You will see two small nuts under the T-handle. Tighten the smaller one just a fraction.

Meanwhile, have a look round to see if there is an additional stop-cock in the front garden or in the pavement (it will be useful if you need a new stopcock fitting later).

Does yours look like newish brass, or is it old and black?

phone the local water company, we had to do this with ours.
they may be able to direct you over the phone to the likely location of your external stop cock.
find it, you will probably also need a tool to both lever it open and reach down the the tap (which is likely to be to far/stubby to turn by hand) you can probably pick one up at a local plumbers merchants, maybe they'll even lend you one....

Once you can switch off the external stop cock you can start playing around with fixing/replacing the internal one...

also for future reference.

when replacing a tap if your plumbings been done well there will be an isolator valve before connection to the tap (it usually has a flat headed screw head in the middle of it) this can isolate the supply to the individual tap (turn it 90 degrees), so you dont need to monkey around with the main stop tap.

Sponsored Links
be warned that yours may be like ours, the outside stop cock turns off half the street! (7 houses)

not too mention the wildlife that had made its home around the stoptap....

the stop cock has been painted over a dozen times but the tap end looks a dirty brass colour rather than black.
It will have been put in when houses were built in 50's!
I will try tighten things n see how it goes.
As my tap handle is on the side,rather than at the top I assume you mean the nuts there as that makes sense!
I have spanners will get on with summat.
4 kids home soon and no water...not good!!

Cheers,I'll let you kno how I get on!

Sharon[/img]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back