Moving light switch to the other side of the door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm changing my door to open the opposite way and want to change my light switch to suit. Is it ok to put a junction box where the old switch is and run a new flex to the new location? The current flex isn't long enough to reach the new location.

I know I should probably replace the exsisting flex with a new/longer flex to the new location, however this isnt ideal because the flex goes up into the ceiling, which I'm not too fond of the idea of tearing up the ceiling and having it replastered again. I also can't access it from above as there's another flat and it would require their laminate floors being removed and then the floor boards under that.

By moving the switch to the other side via a junction, do I need to have an electrical certificate or is it notifiable to my local building reg? From what I understand according to Part P of the Building Regs, I don't need to notify building regs, but I'm not sure if I need to have an electric cert? I seem to recall reading something previously as of Jan 2005 most electrical work needs to have a certificate?

Sponsored Links
I'm changing my door to open the opposite way and want to change my light switch to suit.

is this really necessary?

Is it ok to put a junction box where the old switch is and run a new flex to the new location?

this would look very ugly if ive got the picture of what your wanting to do right in my head?
a junction box would be allowable, are you on about surface wiring the new light switch.....if so then it will need some protection in the form of conduit/ trunking.

do you mean cable, as in twin and earth?

a flex is what is on an appliance, tv, radio, ect.

By moving the switch to the other side via a junction, do I need to have an electrical certificate or is it notifiable to my local building reg?

not sure on this one as its not a new circuit as such but not exactly a straight forward replacement either. id say no to be honest but check this out.

i think a minor works certificate would be required here[/quote]

Quote:
I'm changing my door to open the opposite way and want to change my light switch to suit.

is this really necessary?

yes, otherwise you won't be able to turn the light on. The door is being changed to open towards the wall rather then to the middle of the room.

I meant the cable for the lights - sorry

Quote:
Is it ok to put a junction box where the old switch is and run a new flex to the new location?

this would look very ugly if ive got the picture of what your wanting to do right in my head?

No this won't be surface mounted. I want to put the junction box where the current electrical mounting box is, then run the cable from it to the door, then run it along the door support/frame (under the facing) then from under the facing to the new mounting box on the other side. The junction box will be plastered over. The cables will be shielded and plastered over except where they run along the door support under the facing.

Sponsored Links
I'll take your word for it, because you guys know more then I do, but can just ask why? How else can I discretely extend the cable?

You could replace the existing switch with a blanking plate and join the wires behind this. (but not plaster over it)

Or you could replace the switch cable from the ceiling rose, and extend it to the position of the new switch.

As for why, any screwed connection must be accesible for inspection and testing as the screws can work lose over time.

hmm... I did think about the blanking plate but didnt like the look.

Can't really replace the cable from the ceiling rose, as I would have to dig the cable out of the plaster along the wall to the ceiling (all the cables have been plastered into the walls unprotected - not by me but the council) then dig through the coving then the coat of plaster on the ceiling then through 2 boards of plaster boards just to get to it. Can't get to from the top as I would have to remove my neighbors laminate floors then their floor boards to get to it. So it's not exactly ideal to replace the cable.

Why can't the junction box be plastered over? Is it because the wire becomes hidden? Or is it because the plaster is wet and if that is the case then could a piece board/wood go over the box before plastering?

mp01 said:
Why can't the junction box be plastered over? Is it because the wire becomes hidden? Or is it because the plaster is wet and if that is the case then could a piece board/wood go over the box before plastering?

RF Lighting said:
As for why, any screwed connection must be accesible for inspection and testing as the screws can work loose over time.

oh... blanking plate it is then.
cheers

Just thought of something.... the lighting junction box is in the ceiling and it has screw terminals and it's not exactly accessible to check. :?:

Ok, I answered my own question.....

"Junction boxes must be fixed solidly to a firm, suitable surface and must be accessible. This does not mean they have to be visible and can be fixed in floor or roof voids. Accessible means to a builder or electrician who can easily remove part of the floor or ceiling etc. Junction boxes may not be buried in plaster."

http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/junctionbox.htm

Although, my ceiling isnt exactly accessible with a layer of plaster then 2 layers of plaster boards :confused:

mp01 said:
Ok, I answered my own question.....

"Junction boxes must be fixed solidly to a firm, suitable surface and must be accessible.
There are no regulations that say JB's must be fixed or accessible. It is very good practice to do both but under some circumstances by fixing JB's they become inaccessible ie above down lighters in ground floor ceilings

Mr diydoctor has lead you astray ;)

oohh...

So then it's ok to plaster over the junction box and it is legal, it's just not normal practice?

I spent half the night trying to find anything in the regulations regarding this and didn't find any.....

NO!

You cannot plaster over a junction box!

Screwed connections need to remain accessible!

You could, however invest in some good quality crimpers and terminals and join the conductors this way, sleeving them in heatshrink so they are insulated to 240V. THEN you could plaster over them.

I phoned my local council to find out if moving the light switch is notifiable or requires an electrical certificate..... I was told it must be done by a qualified electrician and a certificate is needed. She didn't clarify that it was notifiable. She also stated that changing a single socket to a double or changing a light fixture doesn't require a certificate, however everything else does including moving or extending wires. This seems to contradict what I've read with Part P.

Can't really say how qualified she was in the field as it was the receptionist that I spoke to. I had asked to speak to someone regarding electrical regulations and she wanted to know what the question was and then said that.

But anyways, I think I have found the best solution... I found a 1 Gang Arctitrave Blank Plate which is 31mm in width (it was suggested earlier to use a blank plate)... There is space under the top door facing of 40mm wide from the top of the door wood frame to the top of the facing.

I'll install a new box and the plate there and put the facing over it - keeping it accessible and out of view :D

I've never used a blanking plate and I've tried looking for a wiring diagram online but haven't found one yet....

RF Lighting said
You could replace the existing switch with a blanking plate and join the wires behind this. (but not plaster over it)

Am I to assume that I wire both cables into the the blank plate? What do you mean by joining the wires behind this?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back