No central heating or hot water (with pics)

The motor in the valve head may have failed. Remove lid of valve and check power to motor. With heating only selected the motor should wind the valve fully to open the heating port A and then power the boiler/pump with the microswitches inside the valve head.

Alternatively the system may not be wired correctly and you may need to set the hot water on, on the timeclock.

Sponsored Links
Gasguru

At the moment both the water and CH are selected.

I'll change it to be CH only and see if it changes. If not i'll take a look in the 3 port valve.

thanks

ok - back - just moved the slider up to 'Man Open' and it stayed there. Th epump isn't going yet, should it kick in soon?

When you put the CH on, the lever on the end of the 3 port should go floppy - does it? If not, wiring or valve/motor is faulty.
Moving the lever to the man position doesn't turn the pump on. If you push it really hard it overshoots and you hear the pump come on for a second or so. The motor should be taking the mechanism past that point.

Sponsored Links
Chris - how do you mean 'floppy' - i'm able to move it upwards....

just a quick update of what i noticed this morning:-

Had no CH or Water on over night.

Tried tap and hot water was still there.

Switched CH only on in the programmer, no fireing up noise from the boiler and the pump not running.

Switched CH back off

Switched Water on, heard boiler fire up instantly.

Switched Water off

Switched CH on via timer to come on and it fired up perfectly, pump running etc. Although after 30 mins the rads where still stone cold.

Do you think i have a dodgy programmer? any ideas why the rads didn't come on after 30 mins - do you think they need a little longer as they havent been on since April?

I think i might actually get a new programmer as the one i have is horrible - looks about 20 years old.

I might go for the Honeywell ST6400C - is this a good one?

first i'll get the CH working (hopefully) on the current one.

you dont happen to have an immersion heater turned on.

I don't think so - is there anyway that I can check? I don't know of a way to switch it on (havent seen a switch for it)

Didnt have time last night to check the programmer wiring, so will do that tonight

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back