Creda 1000 Supaspeed EcoWash blew consumer unit fuse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there good people.
I need some help before the wife gets back!
I went to put some washing on this morning and it started it's first cycle and I heard a big click.....the consumer unit fuse had blown. I reset the fuse switch and tried it again.....did not work, tried the washing machine fuse and it was fine.
Does anyone know what the problem could be?
I have heard that the most common problem with washing machines are the selector dials???? I also do not have to hand, the model number with me!!!!!!! Doh!
I did have a little peak inside the washer to see any tell tale signs of anything that had blown on the pcb etc but found nothing!

Any help would be brilliant....thanks in advance.
Specialbeat.

Sponsored Links
Is it the MCB that tripped, or the RCD?

(the RCD is the bigger one with a "test" button on it)

You can have a look for water leakage inside the machine, or over the plug or socket, or for any loose wires inside the plug. Turn off the power first. Plug in a kettle or toaster to see if the socket is working OK. Then call a repairman.

It is fairly unusual for an MCB to trip without blowing the fuse in the plug.

Sponsored Links
Hiya.
I have had a tinker with the washing machine and realised that someone had the wires round the wrong way in the plug. The Earth was going to Nuetral and the nuetral to Earth......HOW THE HECK DID THE WASHING MACHINE WORK IN THE FIRST PLACE??????
Anyway, I have put the wires back to normal and still doesn't work.....I bet you are all thinking that something has blown!!!!!! Well I checked the door switch (a brick coloured plastic thing with Metaflex (Model M4) written on it) and I have buzzed it out with a multi meter and there is nothing there (no contact) when pushing the switch in.

Does everyone agree with me that this should be changed????

Thanks.
ALSO....the model number (all i can find on the back of the washer) is IPX4

specialbeat said:
....the model number (all i can find on the back of the washer) is IPX4

Hahahahahahahahahaha!

IPX4 is not the model number!

It is a code meaning "enclosed against contact with electrical parts, but not at all waterproof"

No, I'm ashamed to say I was making fun of you.

Have you tested the socket?

Yes I have tested the socket and it is fine.

My main questions are:

1) How did the machine work when the earth was connected to the Nueutral?
2) Do you think it could be the door switch...as above, I believe it to be open circuited.

1) Neutral and earth are usually very close in PD (in many cases, they are the same in the suppliers cable before they reach the meter - but they must not be connected together in the house). This is why a Live fault to earth blows the fuse. However if you had an RCD it would have tripped as soon as the appliance was switched on.

2) Don't know.

Reasonably cheap part and highly possible that it has blown. However, it may also have taken out the pcb on the timer.
Might be better to get the machine checked out by an engineer.

Hello everyone. Well the latest news is the washing machine is now fixed. I replaced the door switch and it had no effect
I then proceeded to look further into the problem, I took the pcb out, that is when I found that one of the tracks had completely burnt away as if something had lifted it away from the board. Out came the Kynar wire and the soldering iron. Put everything back and hey presto!

Sorry to put you kind engineers out of business and thank you all very much for your help in this forum.

Congratulations on your success. :D
Don't worry about putting anyone out of business. Obviously we're not worried, if we were we wouldn't help. :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back