Pipe Sounding Like Fog Horn...Please help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Hope someone can help me. Whenever I flush the toilet I get a loud droning sound which only stops as the cistern becomes refilled, so it lasts a good 30 secs or so. I can feel the floor resounding slightly with the sound and the only way i can stop it is to turn on the water tap at the sink next to the toilet.This stops the noise but if i turn off the tap the noise comes back until the cistern is filled. Please can someone tell me what is causing this and what I can do to stop it. The noise has got dteadily worse and louder over the last few weeks.

Many thanks in advance,

Chris

Sponsored Links
if it has only just started.
it sounds like the ball valve in the cistern is faulty its called water hammer
whats happening is the valve is opening and closing very fast causing the water to hammer on the valve and vibrate the pipes, when you turn on the tap you lower the pressure going to the valve.

if it has done this from new you have a low pressure valve in the cistern

We had this problem throughout our house, i.e. whenever a tap was turned on, washer on, toilet flushed, etc. The noise is probably caused by the volume of water being too high as it goes through the pipes. We thought about a logical solution to this problem and tried turning the water pressure down. It worked and all we had to do then was turn it down a little at a time so the pressure was still OK, but the noise had gone. Try this ... it could well work.

Sponsored Links
Usually all is fine if you just change the ball valve washer.

turn the washer round.back to front :LOL: checkmate ;)

kevplumb said:
We thought about a logical solution to this problem and tried turning the water pressure down.

and how did you manage that :?: :?: :?:

Did he mean to say that by partially closing the tap he reduced 'flow rate'?

It is with out dout the ballvalve washer that has now got an indent in it causing the water to scream & jump as its shutting off . But if its a diaphram part 2 ball valve u cant turn it around it will need replacing. Its good practice to chage the orrifice at the same time . There pence.

a Torbek float valve should solve your problem. they come with a spiral type defuser so that it takes most of the energy out of the water flow and they fill really quitely too.

Oh yes got to agree with that , I carry torbecks & Fluid masters & there a real fix . It all depends how deep u want to get into the job if its a bottom fed ballvalve.

locked to prevent hi-jacking

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back