Noisy immersion heater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently bought a flat which is about 8 years old. The heating and hot water are on an Economy 7 system with a Pullin immersion heater. About a month ago I was woken up by what sounded like a plane taking off from inside my airing cupboard where the immersion heater is. The hot water works fine (although it is extremely hot - despite the fact that I have turned it down to 40 degrees this seems to have had no effect - and a couple of times I seem to have emptied the system when I took a bath as the taps just ran dry in the bathroom), although not sure about the heating as I have had no reason to turn it on yet. Anyway, the heater / pipes have continued to make this really alarming noise and vibrate which only comes on at night or first thing in the morning and lasts for about 5 mins each time before dying down and doesn't appear to be related to me running the taps. I realise I need to get this fixed before it blows up or my neighbours start to complain... However can anyone please advise if I need an electrician or a plumber to fix this? Of the electricians I have spoken to on the phone they tell me I need a plumber - and vice versa! I don't want to spend my hard earned cash calling out the wrong person.

Sponsored Links
Plumber, definitely. The hard bit is getting the big nut undone.
You need to get the running-dry problem investigated, too.

best speak to someone who will do it. i know some electricians who would do it, but most wouldnt. and i know some plumbers that say its a sparky's job

Is it South London :?: ..could be persuaded to leave the forest for a couple of hours @ London rates :LOL:

Sponsored Links
If you are confident that all you want is the old immersion Heater taking out, and a new one put in (and don't complicate the issue with other stories) I can't see why a plumber wouldn't want to do it.

Have you got a modern switch and heat-resistant cable in good condition adjacent to the cylinder? Or is there some electrical work you want done as well, like a new timer?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back