leak where washing machine waste joins U bend.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had to move my washing machines grey wast pipe as it was in the way whilst i was doing a job under the sink.

I wasnt sure how to remove it so i gave it a gentle tug where the end of the hose joins the pipe that connects to the ubend (pretty much where the dotted line is on the image.

The hose remained attached to the plastic, but the plastic came away from the ubend where the screw on joint is on the right hand side of the image. It didnt feel like anything had broken and i didnt have to pull very hard to do this.

At the end i slotted the 2 sections back together but now they dont seem to fit together as well, whereas at the start i had to tug them appart now i can seperate them with one finger. it is as though there is something missing?

Also i'm not really sure what the screw on fitting on the is meant to do because the thin section on the right fits through it so it cant hold it in place.

In the end i have managed to reduce the leak to a drip by using some rubber to increase the size of the tube the hose connects to where it joins the U to make a more snug fit.

Any ideas???

2006175035695062784_rs.jpg
[/URL][/img]

Sponsored Links
This type of coupling relies on a rubber 'cone' washer that clamps onto the thing (called a spigot) that you've pulled out.

If you're relying on sealant with this type of coupling then you're doing it all wrong.

You need to unscrew the white nut, put it onto the spigot in preparation, then remove the parts inside the trap, then place them around the spigot, then push the whole caboodle back into the trap and do up the white nut.

If the rubbber washer looks worn, compressed, twisted or otherwise not serviceable, then you can buy a replacement washer, or, if you can't find such a thing in a hurry, then buy a multifit fitting and steal the washer from that.

it sounds like the rubber washer didnt come out with the spigot so it could be stuck in the pipe, i cant actually get into a position where i can see into the pipe because of the position of the joint in relation to the wall / cupboards.

The rubber i used as a temp. fix wasnt sealant it was literally just a thin piece of rubber so i can remove quite easily.

Whatever is needed to make it watertight must have been there before beacuse it was perfect before i messed with it :(

Thanks for the reply :)

What had happened is that the nut wasn't tightened enough (or became loose), then you pulled out the spigot, and when pushing it in again you've unwittingly pushed the rubber washer into the trap.

I recommend that you take the trap off (with a bowl underneath) to retrieve the old washer, because you shouldn't let it go down the drain and you shouldn't leave it in the trap to cause a blockage.

Sponsored Links
cheers softus that sounds like the most logical explanation, i will have a bash at it tonight.

no sign of the washer in the trap, it must have gone down the drain :( however i got a 90 degree joint for a couple of quid from B&Q so i could use a washer of it as you suggested and it is all back to normal now.

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back