Mira shower mixer help needed plse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks, my mums shower mixer has become a sod to use - basically the outer flow dial has pretty much seized making the shower difficult to turn on or off.
It is externally in good nick so is it worth trying to strip and clean / replace seals etc or are we better off buying a new mixer unit?
It may sound like penny pinching but I would rather not disturb the tiled wall as it is studded you see.
Oh, I would guess it is about 20 odd years old?

Thanks

Olly.

Sponsored Links
A 20 year old Mira is well worth lokking into for a service kit. if its an 88 its a dodle, ifts a 722 Or 723 then its a thermastic. bit more involved & the bi-metallic coil may be coroded . Is the re a model no on it or has it a centre knob that turns left to right, is it built in or exposed. Service kits are about £17 -£20+ .well worth ago . normally as good as new after,

Thanks Bab I didn't see a model, I have piccy on my phone but left that somewhere will post tomorrow.
The black outer dial controls water flow and inner white dial temperature - I am pretty sure it is not thermostatic caus it did suffer fluctuations in temperature but I can't be sure. It is surface mounted with two 90 bends into the 'barrel' as well.
Oh, when I take the white dial off the black is held by a circlip and on removal of that I think there was a largish nut? Didn't go any further as cold is fed from a tank which will need either bunging or emptying.

I have most of the service manuals if you find the model, ( on the front plate)

Sponsored Links
From memory its a Mark 1 88 . very good old piece of kit. Buy a srevice kit for it & it will come with an exploded diagram of the valve. With the water isolated undo the large nut. if u can get that loose every thing else is a dodle.

bab said:
From memory its a Mark 1 88 . very good old piece of kit. Buy a srevice kit for it & it will come with an exploded diagram of the valve. With the water isolated undo the large nut. if u can get that loose every thing else is a dodle.

Hi Bab, I have a photo of the shower here if you could confirm please.

IMAGE_151.jpg

Should I just ask for a Mira ### service kit?

did you know you could get the temp knobs with the H+C indices reversed to enable it to fit where the feeds are existing and couldn`t be swopped :?: ........bloody good service from Mira..that small thing years ago led me to stay with them and recommend them ;)

Nige F said:
did you know you could get the temp knobs with the H+C indices reversed to enable it to fit where the feeds are existing and couldn`t be swopped :?: ........b****y good service from Mira..that small thing years ago led me to stay with them and recommend them ;)

Clever idea... but I just turned mine upside down so the left & right were reversed :LOL:

Yeah mark 1 88 The earlier model was the Mira 8 with a grey centre knob. I think its the same service kit on the mark 2 88 as well so its a good cert,any way.

Oops! Quite right - Mira 8 it was, and grey knob it was.

Like the man in the orthopaedic shoes....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back