Replacing Mains water pipe.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, after repairing a leak in my lead water main pipe I’m thinking of replacing it with PVC piping. The biggest problem I can see is the trench required from our boundary gate to the front door, I may get a mole machine in to do this. Are their any special requirements, such as depth of pipe etc? I know I need United Utilities to connect it to the outside stopcock.

I was then planning to run the pipe under the hall floorboards and up through bottom of the stairs from the hole (concrete) I created when repairing the lead pipe. The pipe would then run along a small section of skirting (as the kitchen is a concrete floor) and then under the kitchen units to the stopcock below the sink. Does anyone see any problems with this? Is there a site which shows the requirements needed?

Thanks for your help, John

Sponsored Links
750mm deep, best on pea gravel if there's rubble.
Moling is only OK if you're sure there are no obstructions.
Pipe has to come far enough into the hose to avoid frost, though there are exceptions granted by some water providers.
Call your Water Provider, they all have their foibles.

It's MDPE, not PVC, btw.

Hi John. United Utilities have a web site that gives you all you need to know. But you have to obtain their approval before they agree to make the connection, best to get application form and technical note sheets. Pipe has to be 25mm diam. and fitted in 100mm diam. ducting where it enters house. Pipe has to be insulated within ducting using 'armaflex'
My trench was all rubble so I laid 50mm ducting instead of the suggested sand/clay. I had to get a 100mm diam bend (500mm radius) and metre of straight 100mm pipe. If you are anywhere near Lancs then CW Berry of Leyland stock the stuff.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
min 750mm, max 1350.

....but this may be for copper only but preety sure it covers all pipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back