mixer tap in kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i was asked to change some mixer taps for a friend.
I went round turned all water off unconnected the flexis from the copper pipe went to undo the tap and instead of being a copper rod underneath..It was black and plastic so i put my screwdriver in to turn it and it would not turn at all it just took bits away. I then put a socket thing on it not sure what it is called but has different sizes on each end and that also did not work
I fitted my own last week and it came off easy what is the problem with this one
Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
I don't understand what the copper rod is for. Is it a tap spindle? Or is it the nut underneath the deck that holds the tap in place?

if the nut is plastic - break it off and the taps should slide out.

Sponsored Links
It'll probably be a long plastic tube/rod with either an internal thread at the top, or a nut embedded in the end.
Mole grips?
Heat your box spanner and force it on melting the thing?

THANKS for all the advice i have tried grips but i cant move anything due to it being so compact I dont understand why it is black as you usually get gold metal ones

young plum said:
THANKS for all the advice i have tried grips but i cant move anything due to it being so compact I dont understand why it is black as you usually get gold metal ones

Please tell us what it is.

Is it on top? under the deck? Under the tops of the taps?

Is it like a nut? Or a screw? Or a sleeve? Or what?

Y'know John, monobloc tap, you get a long bit of studding poking down through the C shaped washer and plate thing, with like a very long nut on the studding. Some cheap taps have a plastic bodied "long nut".

thats what i was talking about thanks chris
So how do i undo this black thing I have tried box spanner but it just turns and black thing stays still i tried screw driver and it still wouldnt budge
Is the best way now to take the sink out so i canget at the taps,If so how do you do this
Thanks again

If it's a sleeve nut, and it's made of plastic, and it's on an old tap that you intend to bin, I'd be looking at the hacksaw and the angle grinder. You could try a mole or slip pliers on the sleeve and the stud might come out of the tap body.

Use one of these:

p3438005_l.jpg

and then get a new basin.

I believe is the expression is Job Done.

Or you could remove the basin so that you can get at the frustrating thing properly. I attended a job with an older and wiser mate recently, and watched hom swear for a full half hour while trying to undo a seized brass basin tap backnut with a Monument basin wrench. About 5 minutes in, I had said, quite quietly, "lets take the basin off". 25 minutes later we took the basin off. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back