New bathroom taps ... loud "clunk" noise!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've always had slightly "noisy" plumbing but, since we recently had our new bathroom fitted, it's got a lot worse. Whenever the cold tap is turned off/the loo flushed/the washer on, we get a very loud "clunk" noise which vibrates through the house. I understand this could be pipes banging together somewhere. The bathroom fitters have returned, taken everything out of the bathroom and replaced some pipes under the floorboard which they thought might be the problem.

For an hour of so, this seemed to help and the noise did lessen a little, however, the problem returned in full before they went away. As they left, they said that we could have the valves changed in the new bathroom taps which should make a difference (why didn't they try this in the first place?!). The new ones we've had fitted turn off rapidly and do not drip and the suggestion was we return to the old type. Even if this did help, I doubt it would stop the noise when the loo is flushed or the washer in operation?

I understand that it could be very difficult to determine exactly which pipes throughout the house are causing the problem, but just wonder if anyone has any ideas and how changing the tap valves might help. The noise really is driving us mad.

Many thanks,

Mimi

Sponsored Links
Standard problem, you can get a "pipe hammer arrestor" which tees into each pipe to absorb the shock(s). Part of the problem might be air in the pipe which will slowly dissolve/come out so it might improve by itself.

One can make a good noise damper by combining a small isolating valve with one of these. Tweak iso vlave to adjust damping rate.
11355.gif

I would suggest a pressure reducing valve if you suffer from high pressure, but from my many many years of experience clunking pipes are pipes that are inadequatly supported.

IE Not clipped at proper intervals or more likely not clipped at all.

Classic places are under floors and when run up soil stacks.

Stan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back