New heated towel rail

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to replace my radiator in the bathroom with a heated towel rail. I'll probably pay to get it done as I'm not confident enough to do it myself. My questions is, do I have to do anything to reinforce the wall? The wll where the current rad is located is plasterboard and I'm concerned that it won't support the towel rail. Also, will the plumber attach it to the wall as well or do they just connest it up?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
They will do whatever you ask them to do!

Its best to get at least one side fitted to a wood wall support member. The other must use a toggle fitting whatever your plumber says about using his cheap substandard type to save him £3.

It may be best for YOU to buy the toggle fixings yourself as many plumbers are locked into an agressive attitude against doing things properly. They will tell you that something is best and then feign total surprise if it fails. You may even find some of them posting here to disagree anout the fixing!

Tony

be careful of some rails. had one or two full of little rusty iron filings.give them a tap and a shake to clear and flush them through before fitting. have had one or two pumps full of the stuff.

I agree with Tony.

The amount of rads that i have seen coming away from the wall because the wrong fixings have been used.

Why anyone thinks that these are suitable for hanging a radiator on is beyond me.

msp420.jpg

A picture maybe, but a radiator NOT :evil:

Sponsored Links
Nowt wrong with those fixings as the load is shear.....unless little scroats take to climbing on the rails ........tie them to the rail and turn up the heat :evil: It was good enough for Tom Brown in his schooldays

Its allright, Nigel is no longer fitting rads these days!

Whatever he thinks, the tenants children will sit, swing or even just plain try to pull them off the wall!

Only toggle fittings have a chance and thats only the 6 mm ones !

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back