Floor vent for back boiler

Paul Barker said:
I thought it didn't have to be ducted as long as you are satisfied that there is suitable route to outside.

Pass on that.

The only reference I could find in BS 5440-1 & 2 is ducted. Of course a room or space under the floor is not a lot different from above, so your probably right.

I would sooner see it through the wall above the skirting if there is a suitable wall.

Bl00dy regs ;)

Sponsored Links
Yes wall one is good, but don't you go to a lot of houses with back boilers that haven't been serviced for 20 years (judging by the yellow flames reaching forward and the two rubble sacks of soot you get out of them) and no vent, then when you look deeper into it you see that it has been decorated over?

But they always say that they leave the door open.

Sort of like all the millions of people I used to encounter on a paediatric ward whose baby is suffering RSV that "never smokes in front of the baby".

Paul Barker said:
I thought it didn't have to be ducted as long as you are satisfied that there is suitable route to outside.

I agree, however you have to make sure the area under the house does not communicate with any other property.

So i would say go for a wall vent unless its a detached property.

www.bes.ltd.uk item 7671 £8 plus delivery (about £5) plus vat, you can fit it yourself easily. 100cm2, polished brass. If the space you are drawing air from under the floor does not communicate with another property it does not need to be ducted, otherwise it should be ducted to outside - this is in case another property (or more) is also using the same area to supply combustion air.
British Gas should take the time to explain this to people properly instead of doing a half arsed job of quoting regs, and leaving punters to search the internet for proper information and solutions. Or they could try to emulate someone better and carry vents with them for these occasions.
F_DS

Sponsored Links
Actually I had a sort of combined knowledge job about a year ago, when caping off a cooker I quickly cheacked other appliances, ilfe was spilling grossly. They said, after my CO speach "so that is why the baby always falls asleep in this room".

Council had issued safety certificate a few weeks before. The lady of the house, when I showed her all was very badly wrong as I capped off the fire and labelled it, then remembered that the gas fitter had said to her, "the flue wasn't right, but the council don't like spending money on flues". Anyhow, they're safe now.

Tip - you don't want to hit a joist because they're deep, others here:
http://www.stadium-ventilation.co.uk/vents/Vent_Floorvents1_.htm
So if there's laminate flooring or carpet, use a stud/wire finder which will let you look for the nails in the floorboards. Once you've worked out where they run it's a quick job with a drill and jigsaw.
Recently put in a couple which are underneath/behind the tv/videos.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back