webcam as cctv for drains??

Sponsored Links
Igorian said:
Probably.

lol need a technical answer ... max length of usb etc

what happens if cam gets stuck ? and which cheap cam to use ?

TIA

Sponsored Links
Why not get a small CMOS camera from CPC and hook it up to the scart socket on your TV / VCR. You'll need a power supply and a small light source too.

How big are the drains? do you need a camera thats a certain size?
How about an IP camera? the ones we have here also have IR built in so can see in the slightest of light.

I dunno, sounds a bit like why not use the kitchen knives instead of expensive screwdrivers?

Spark123 said:
Why not get a small CMOS camera from CPC and hook it up to the scart socket on your TV / VCR. You'll need a power supply and a small light source too.

There is no tv nearby but have a laptop. Will look at CPC website cmos camera maybe be better .

eggplant said:
How big are the drains? do you need a camera thats a certain size?
How about an IP camera? the ones we have here also have IR built in so can see in the slightest of light.

The drains were blocked upto bath/basin but blockage was in 4'' soil pipe.

Need to have a look in plastic to clay join all the way to manhole cover if possible for stones/breakage/partial collapse, before breaking up concrete patio.

Do you have a link to IP camera ?

TIA

Oh come on, be serious, a webcam down a drain?

How will you guide it and then position it so it is looking at the correct place? The lens will more than likely get covered in whatever crap is down there and, at worst, damaged.

You can a cheapy usb-video capture device and plug it into the laptop so you can display the picture from a bog standard cmos camera. Supply from a battery to run the camera. Like Igorian says webcams ain't the best thing to be shoving down a drain, in comparison they are quite bulky, unlikely to be waterproof and the lens will get covered in no time. The only real viable option I can think of is to get a small waterproof camera and have a waterjet to clean it off?

I really ought to explain myself better ;).
I meant plug a USB-Video convertor into the laptop and run a coax component signal cable from the "video in" to the camera along with a power signal (and hose?) you can go quite a long distance with coax.
This way the USB-Video convertor makes the laptop behave just like a CCTV monitor.

I see !
but why not just use an IP cam instead? either way, methinks a camera down the drain (a camera of the type we are talking about) isnt a good idea unless the camera is sort of in a straight line down the drain - in which case surely a torch would be a cheaper and easier option - or am I missing something?
Out of interest, what sort of quality can you expect (assuming a decent cam) from a usb convertor? cant say as I've ever come accross them but may be of use.

Sponsored Links
Back