Chasing-In pipes

Dai

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 15mm cold supply running up my kitchen wall with a 15mm hot supply running alongside to the hot water tap, both are held to the wall by rawlplugged supports. At the moment they are 'Boxed In' but with a complete kitchen refit their postion is likely to change slightly.

Can I bury them into the wall (plastered blockwork) in copper pipework and if I can any suggestions on how and what protection they need.

Thanks in advance Dai

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

I have deleted your duplicated post entitled "Simple Question"
and I will modify the title of this one, from "Buried Pipes" to
"Chasing-In pipes" hopefully it will attract more replies

Mod Rupert

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Sponsored Links
Why do you post essentially the same question twice on the same day ????

Because On checking the forum i see no replies, but that other members are active on the forum now so posted a simpler version of the same question. As i intend starting work tuesday I had hoped for a quick fairly simple reply.
i am a new member and if I have broken any rules I apologies.

+++++++++++++++++++++
Have a look at "Rules" and the sticky posts at the top of the
Plumbing section, it will help you understand our approach.

Mod Rupert
++++++++++++++++++++++

Yet again I have to complement Rupert on his clear and polite explanation !

Tony

++++++
One does one's best.

Rupert ;)
+++++++

Sponsored Links
The point is nobody answered because what you are trying to do is unusual, it wouldn't be commercially viable for any of us to do it. Houses with solid floors have drops for rads which are boxed in. After the boxing is finished with dec caulk papered in the same paper or painted the same as the rest of the wall it looks fine. Any visible pipes can be painted in with the background.

Remember to use lockshields that include a dfrain off on every drop. Some rads can be through the wall from each other so the drop isn't needed in every room.

Remember to vent the pipes in loft if it's a bungalow, if not upstairs rads will vent it.

UFH is very expensive compared to radiators, but better, and you require less power to heat a house with ufh as it is a better form of warmth.

You are entertaining great expense.

You aren't allowed to chase cold mains into an outside wall, and it would be good practice to not chase heating pipes into outside walls, though it is allowed.

I wouldn't do it.

Not allowed to chase cold mains into internal walls either!

Thanks for the replies they shed some light on the problem, unfortunately
i bought ikea kitchen units that fit tight to the wall with no space at the back to allow for pipe work. So chasing them into the wall seemed the obvious but difficult choice. I have to rethink the project with perhaps passing the pipes through the units suitably fixed to the wall or if room allows under the units.

Thanks

silly question,,,, why are you not allowed to chase a cold main pipe into a wall ? is it to do with condensation ?

thanks

Because the people who devise the Water Regulations have told us not to.

Why do we follow these peoples' orders blindly? Because right is right.

Obviously external walls get cold.

Agile said:
Not allowed to chase cold mains into internal walls either!

Not doubting you Tony but how would you be able to install a concealed shower mixer fed from a combi.

Is it not allowed? :confused:

Paul Barker said:
Because the people who devise the Water Regulations have told us not to.

Why do we follow these peoples' orders blindly? Because right is right.

Obviously external walls get cold.

fair play, but its always handy (wether pro or am) to understand why the regulations are what they are.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back