TRV's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have just had TRV's fitted to my C.H.S by a plumber . not sure if he has fit them right. as they seem to make a noise.

can you tell me, does the T.R.V's go onto the Flow or Return pipework.

Sponsored Links
Bulldog , i think. does it matter ?

i know you can get TRV's that can go on the flow and return but this plumber told me they could only go on the the return.

is this corect ?

am not so sure this guy was a time sevred plumber you see. if this is the case i will report him.

cheers

Sponsored Links
I have Bulldog TRV's in my house and they are bi-directional with no adjustment needed - so i'm abit miffed :confused: .

You cant report an unqualified plumber (there are no regs\laws regarding un/qualified plumbers - but there should be!) you can report someone who has done gas work without the relevent qualifications though.

dom2466 said:
Bulldog , i think. does it matter ?
Yes; very much so. Otherwise bster wouldn't have asked.

i know you can get TRV's that can go on the flow and return but this plumber told me they could only go on the the return.
You need to reconsider the value of the recommendation for this plumber.

am not so sure this guy was a time sevred plumber you see. if this is the case i will report him.
Report him to whom, and for what? To the Police, for not being alive for long enough? :rolleyes:

so.......... to answer my irst question. does the TRV's need to be on the Flow or Return pipieork if they were not bi-directional ?

if they are bi-flow it will most likely say on the actualu valve or indicated with arrows

is it really every valve, how many has he fitted?

hes fitted 5 in all.

they aren't bi-flow. which end SHOULD they be on , Flow or Return ?

cheers Dom

They should be installed so the arrow in them points in the right direction - which usually means the flow.
That doesn't usually make them noisy other than clunking shut though.

More likely
1) He didn't balance the radiators with the valve at the other end (see FAQ) so the flow is extra high, and/or
2) Lack of or wrongly set boiler bypass valve, which means the pressure is extra high

are there any radiators without TRV's?,

My Peglar Bulldog valves are definetly bi-flow, there are 2 opposing arrows on the valve body.

A good guess is the pressure differencial is too high when the valves start to close.

Remove the heads next time it makes a noise, if it stops then you need to adjust or fit an auto by-pass valve in the heating circuit.

Turning the pump down to a lower setting may also cure it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back