v low hot water flow rate into bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've a problem with low flow rate of hot water into the bath from the hot water tank in the airing cupboard. It first occured when the immersion heater blew (tripping the power supply to it) and the flow rate of hot water into the bath was drastically reduced (I assume it then only being heated by the GFCH boiler, as the tank was definitely out of service!). The airing cupboard is next to the bathroom btw.

Anyway, I replaced the immersion heater in the tank and it seems to be heating its contents, and doesn't blow the trip switch etc., but the hot water flow is still v low. When I was replacing the immersion I did close and open a stop valve from the bottom of the tank, as well as a couple of other stop valves in the airing cupboard.

Can anyone suggest a reason why the flow rate is still low? I can only think that the valve has stuck shut, although it still rotates both ways. I'd like to fill the nippers 4 inch deep bedtime bath in less than 15 mins!

Sponsored Links
When I was replacing the immersion I did close and open a stop valve from the bottom of the tank, as well as a couple of other stop valves in the airing cupboard.

Can anyone suggest a reason why the flow rate is still low? I can only think that the valve has stuck shut, although it still rotates both ways.

Did you re-open the valve fully .... Anticlockwise [then turn clockwise ¼ turn to stop it jamming]

Quite often the 'gate' snaps off inside the valve and it does need renewing.

An airlock is also a probable cause

A rare possibility is that some foreign material has entered the cylinder while you were working on it and has floated up to the top causing an obstruction.

Sponsored Links
It doesn't rotate for ever, but I guess it would still screw up and down and stop, even if the gate has snapped off in the shut position?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back